SBC timing cover seal problem....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadBrax

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 5, 2018
That was what I wanted and is what is currently on order now. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Had a chrome one once... Once. Leaked like a seive, seals wouldn't stay in. Junk it and find a GOOD used GM cover and you'll be better off

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
I have heard about those cheap chinese ones .The metal id thin .And are prone to leakage .I use a Chevrolet "BowTie " Chrome timing Chain cover.They are thicker .along with a Fel Pro timing chain gaskets and one piece oil pan gasket.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Why don't you clean up the cover you removed cause it looks a little beat up and use that one

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

MadBrax

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 5, 2018
Believe me when I say this wasn't my first choice. The old cover is long gone, a new one is on order. I'm doing what I can with my time and I have to move the car tomorrow. I may be able to give it another shot later and I did install a one piece oil pan gasket. I'm also hoping that I have enough clearance to do it without pulling the motor again. You guy's are all correct and I appreciate your input immensely. I really didn't want to use the chrome cover in the first place.

MadBrax

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 5, 2018
Just an update: Drove the car about 20 miles today with no leaks. Crankshaft seal is still in place. However, I will change the timing cover at the next opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor