sbc tpi swap with vortec heads! into 87 cutlass formerly 307

Status
Not open for further replies.
pontiacgp said:
I tried those "shorty" headers and they are where they belong..in the garbage....if you look at the photo of the drivers side you almost have to bend the pipe 90 degrees to get it to travel in that opening in front of the pan..and then you have to oval that pipe so it will fit in that opening.......instead I installed some full length Hedmans with a ball and socket collector and they are made to give alot of ground clearance

i disagree on that one, i would sat those shorys if done right are some of the best fitting i have seen, migth not be the straitest path possible but the benefits of the shorties are there. these pics are of the exhaust hanging in my basement, the pipes are pushed apart up front cause of the way i have it hung but you can get the idea. at first i wasnt happy with them but after the shop was done i was 100% happy with them. those mid length headers are nice also but if you have shorties and do not want to run the dual exhaust cross member then these are a great option.

wvzb69.jpg

vmr5zk.jpg

thanks for the pics. just gonna make a dual 2 1/2 to single 3in pipe simalar to what you have at the front. wil worry about true duals after motor is in and steering & suspension is done.
*update*
got block mounts in today. still have to get tpi 700r4 kickdown cable and frame mounts then it going in hopefully around thanksgiving i got a 4 day weekend should be able to get it done.

update: was driving home on thursday and trans stopped shifting and started to slip. pulled it that night. when i pulled the converter out the splines on the stator were gone as well as the ones in the conveter. so due to it being so close to christmas. i will rebuild it in the intrest of money. so i figure that since i already have it out i may as well just go a little farther and pull the motor too. so the tpi motor is going in as soon as i get a stall converter, 1 pc rear main 153 tooth flywheel and a 700r4 tpi detent cable. coming real soon tpi 305 with freshly upgraded 2004r. stay tuned!

mtor out anyone need olds 307 parts.

ok well been slacking on the posting. the motor is in. trans is in and hooked up. wiring is done except fuel pump and cooling fan. have to run heater lines. make a y pipe. have pics will up load when done.

ok here are the pics of the motor in the car and the hid headlights i put in.

1127171132.jpg

100_0499.jpg

100_0500.jpg

100_0501.jpg

100_0502.jpg

nope about the same height as stock

nice job, i will be doing a similar swap, hope to post some picks also. what are some of the issues you have encountered

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor