Seized brake caliper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I had a brain storm. The Jeep works fine now- no more problems. How could the calipers "fix" themselves? What if the brake fluid is contaminated? It is not supposed to boil at high temps. Water or other contamination could lower the boiling point and let an air bubble form. That would cause the caliper to expand and the brakes get even hotter. Once they cooled down everything goes back to normal. So The fix would be to flush the system and use a better grade of brake fluid. Not just replace everything.

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Piston material expands at a greater rate as heating up compaired to the rate of the caliper body? Our stock cast iron/steel parts combo don't have an issue like that & they don't have as good of a braking effect as modern discs & would heat up faster. Another thought would be the caliper guides with the same heating rate issue. Try some caliper grease & lube them up since it's easier to mess with the guide bolts.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
When I had it apart I checked the guides. There are stainless steel springy tensioners in there. All were clean and working. In fact when I had her press the brake pedal the piston moved right out- and when she took her foot off the pedal the square sealing "O" ring retracted the piston all by itself. Hardly what you would expect from a seized caliper or even a blocked hose. That's why I can't buy the "replace everything" mentality.

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Dunno why mother Mopar had a hard on for Phenolic caliper pistons, its a cool material but Ive cracked them just trying to compress the piston. Better off as carb spacers

Hose acting like a check valve is a somewhat common issue on alot of cars not necessarily Mopars, although given the choice I stay away from them.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Hope it all works out, but I would be willing to bet you will still have problems...

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I pm'd Mark about how fast and cheap RockAuto and he sent me back this about the Liberty brake issue.....I found it :rofl: so I wanted to share it...

"So the Jeep is working great now and we did nothing yet. If I can get her to stop long enough to bleed the brakes I will. At my age it is hard to work on a car while running alongside. "

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor