Sellers and Ebay Disgust Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
You have to remember alot of these gm parts started out with an external dimensionally the same piece that then got some specialized tweaks and minor pieces added on.

Aftermarket parts company sees specs between a couple part numbers and stops offering 7 different ones, consolidates it as a single generic part and part number.

It gets worse as 40 years goes by and the process happens 2 or 3 times.

Then they move production to China.
Totally agree, fast forward 20 years, you order a seat cover for a 1987 grand national and you get this from China

Attachments

• 1589312141182.png
    1589312141182.png
    41 KB · Views: 103
Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The thing I really love is seeing body parts like sheet metal, head light & tail light units, glass that you can see in the pic specificly fits what ever 20xx Japanese car & list will fit 1981 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. When was the last time a more door Subie right rear door fit my car? It pollutes the searches to where there is over 1000 parts listed with none fitting your car. Then there is the universal fits all crap that nothing to do with cars.

• Agree

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The best way I've found to search for NOS stuff on flea bay is by part number. If you know what it is. Sometimes, the seller knows what they have, sometimes, they just list it in a grab bag of parts or a lot or something, and there's been instances where you can pick up a lot of say, GM parts in a box, and find like a solenoid, or wiper motor, or some crap that you really need for dirt or somewhere close to it. Not always, but I've been lucky a few times. One time I bought a lot of GM PS hoses for weird applications, rando vent deflectors, and other sh*t that had a few G-body parts in it, and inside of that box that wasn't listed was 2 NOS radio antennae for a 69 Cutlass and a GM A/C belt for a 455 72 Cutlass. Sold the belt for $35 or $40 bucks or something like that. Bought the lot for $30. And still got a new radio antennae or two for my 69.

Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Its not just ebay sellers who consolidating part applications. Replacement part manufacturers , both aftermarket and OEM have been pulling this for years. Often they will lie and say a base model spec part will fit a performance sub model.
So True!

I needed a new master window switch for my 97 F350 Crewcab. Was superceded, by Ford, with a part from a 98+. Not only did it not fit the door panel, the wiring connections were completely different. The Dormans available fit, but it took 7 tries to get one that all the windows worked from....never did and O'reilly gave up trying. Finally bought a Delco replacement that required trimming the bezel, and the LR switch failed in under a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor