Selling Olds 403 build - feelers for price?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bri guy

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2018
I have a built 403. Runs great. Just not the power I thought it would have. Doesn't spin tires like yours......previous spent about 5k on the rebuild. Has good parts in it but not alot of power. I can post a build sheet to. Did you have to do alot of modifying to install the LS motor?
Please do. My 8 to 1 403 that only ran a 9.7 in the 1/8 spun the tires hard with a no slip locker, whether 3.42 or the stock 2.56 gears.

I think my compression is 9 to 1 or a little more. Stock 3.42 rear end (if it's the original) and stock 200r4 transmission. Shifts pretty hard. Runs good. Just not the beast they told me that it is. 1406 carb.

Attachments

• received_1847100871976697.jpeg
    received_1847100871976697.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 166
  • received_1847100761976708.jpeg
    received_1847100761976708.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 171
  • 20180605_205416.jpg
    20180605_205416.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 175
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The stock 4A heads suck on the exhaust side, that Edelbrock is junk and way too small, either a Quickfuel 750 or 750 Street Demon carb or the Sniper or Fitech system. What cam?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Bri guy

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2018
The stock 4A heads suck on the exhaust side, that Edelbrock is junk and way too small, either a Quickfuel 750 or 750 Street Demon carb or the Sniper or Fitech system. What cam?

Not sure about the cam. All I know is it's a mild cam. And guy said it's a lower rpm cam?

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
A bone stock 403 can rip the tires all day long even with Granny gearing. A built 403 along with better gearing should be able to rip em all day and through the night. If these things aren't happening, there is an issue or issues.

I had a mild Olds 350 built by Rocket Racing years ago and they skimped on the build so it wasn't what it was supposed to be ( even though I payed for it... ). In other words, your builder could be lying about what was done to it or they royally f@cked up somewhere.

To answer the OP's question, in my opinion you would be lucky to get $1500. $1000-1200 would be more likely. I dumped my Rocket Racing 350 ( btw, FU John Stolpa ) for practically nothing. Other than some jerkoff on this forum who yanked my chain about it, nobody really wanted it for a realistic price so I gave it to an Olds friend of mine for super cheap.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
A bone stock 403 can rip the tires all day long even with Granny gearing. A built 403 along with better gearing should be able to rip em all day and through the night. If these things aren't happening, there is an issue or issues.

I had a mild Olds 350 built by Rocket Racing years ago and they skimped on the build so it wasn't what it was supposed to be ( even though I payed for it... ). In other words, your builder could be lying about what was done to it or they royally f@cked up somewhere.

To answer the OP's question, in my opinion you would be lucky to get $1500. $1000-1200 would be more likely. I dumped my Rocket Racing 350 ( btw, FU John Stolpa ) for practically nothing. Other than some jerkoff on this forum who yanked my chain about it, nobody really wanted it for a realistic price so I gave it to an Olds friend of mine for super cheap.

Bri guy

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2018

I was just told one of the rear axles is bent. Not sure if that would play a part...But that's what I figured. Should be somewhat of a beast. After buying it from from a dealership, I got the title with the previous owners name. Talked to the guy for a while and told me all about the car. Found out that he had a 750 carb on it before trading it in. So dealership did a switch a roo.....so in your opinion, if these parts were in fact put in ( builder is reputable place. Builds race cars. Hekt power products.) This car should be hauling *ss?

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
Yeah something seems off, before I bought my 403, I rode in the car it was in, stock it was impressive, but after a rebuild with compression, and head work, it’s a beast.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have torn down freshly built engines before from shops only to find parts were not installed or services were not performed yet it was still listed as a charge so it wouldn't surprise me that a shop would skip things figuring the customer will probably never notice especially if you appear to be a novice.

• Agree

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
I have torn down freshly built engines before from shops only to find parts were not installed or services were not performed yet it was still listed as a charge so it wouldn't surprise me that a shop would skip things figuring the customer will probably never notice especially if you appear to be a novice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor