shift linkage not working with new headers

Status
Not open for further replies.

cycomiko

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 1, 2010
Sorry these were the first headers I have ever installed and what a pain. I finally got them on and the shift linkage hits the header right in the middle of it. It will only move into reverse. Is there a way to alter my stock linkage rather than but a floor shifter now. Any info would be great. Oh the car is 80 Cutlass With a 260 and a th350 and a column shifter. Yeah yeah I know a 260. Only till my 355 is done.

Blazenlotus

G-Body Guru
Mar 4, 2010
Stockton, MO
I had the same problem with putting Flowtech headers on my 79 260. I couldn't get the column shift to work so I had to use a floor shifter. I still hit the spot where the header bolted to the exhaust but I just notched it a little. The stock one wouldnt work no matter what I did it was just to bulky. Somebody else may have had better luck but I gave up and went with floor shift and bucket seats. And what do you mean ya ya a 260 there is nothing wrong with a 260.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
IIRC i flipped a rod around and used a screwdriver to tweak things and it JUST works.

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
What part of the shift linkage hits? Is it the shift rod that comes down from the column? My friend had this happen when he put a set of A-body headers on his '87 2 wheel drive Suburban, so we bent the rod towards the frame now it works great.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
same here. I have a set of olds dynomax balck jack headers on my cutlass with an olds 350 and a facotry floor shift car too. I had to grind the transmission shift arm down where the shifter cable bolts to and also grind my collector flange down.

cycomiko

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 1, 2010
I emailed flowtech to let them know. They said they were unaware of any problem like this. They also asked for pictures of the issue. So I guess I'll put it back and snap one for them. They would also like to know if others have had the same problem and what model number and engine combo etc. Let em know so they can fix the issue.

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
Back when i had a smallblock i had the cheap dynomax headers on it and the same problem, i had to remove that linkage. Even with the big block the hooker super comp headers have the same problem, no way a little tweak will get that to clear

1983regal

Master Mechanic
May 2, 2011
St. Louis MO.
Lokar makes a nice linkage kit which might work instead of buying a shifter. There is also a company that makes a kit to adapt a cable from the end of the column down to the trans, to replace the linkage. Will have to see if I can find it again. Might be lokar also.
Greg

Lokar does make the cable linkage here is the link to it. http://lokar.com/product-pgs/column-shi ... tlink.html

cycomiko

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 1, 2010
Her is where it hits. It only goes in reverse then hits.

Attachments

• Picture 1369.jpg
    Picture 1369.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 36,845
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor