Should I be able to turn the radiator fan blades by hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesejam

Apprentice
Mar 15, 2009
California
I've never had a Cutlass before, so I never know if the quirks are normal. I feel like the radiator fan in my car is really loud, like an Jeep or a truck. I've noticed that when the car is off, I can turn the radiator fan blades easily by hand. Is this normal or should I replace the belt?

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
there is a clutch in the fan to allow you to turn it by hand.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
Re: Should I be able to turn the radiator fan blades by hand

jamesejam said:
I've never had a Cutlass before, so I never know if the quirks are normal. I feel like the radiator fan in my car is really loud, like an Jeep or a truck. I've noticed that when the car is off, I can turn the radiator fan blades easily by hand. Is this normal or should I replace the belt?

How easily is "easy"? if you can give it a sharp flip and you get more than a rotation out of it ... fan clutch maybe out. Some amount of turn is expected after all it is a clutch but if it spins and spins .... well they are pretty cheap at an auto-parts store (just don't buy the heavy duty)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor