SHOULD I BUY THIS CAR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

85cut420

Apprentice
Nov 19, 2011
Wake Co, NC
So I drove this 86 Monte with a 383 Stroker today. The motor was put in about 3 years ago (have receipts) and has about 15K on it. It has a big *ss cam and a LOUD flowmaster, the owner built it as a drag car (turn off to me) and has a dyno sheet showing 419 rwhp, which I believe, when I drove it there was water on the road and it had trouble getting traction with those skinny (for 400+ hp) tires. Body supposedly has 65K on it (probably 165K), nice recent paintjob, no big bad spots, and it has Iroc rims. Interior has buckets but shifter is on the column. Car has a clear title also.

The guy wants 2500, but I can probably talk him down to a little over 2, the car needs new front shocks and bushings, and the power steering is not compatible with the 383, so no PS. Here's a couple pics, what do you guys think, should I grab it or stay away? It would fit into my all black fleet nicely lol.

Attachments

• m3.jpg
    m3.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 622
  • m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 640
  • m1.jpg
    m1.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 638

beatupdablok

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 12, 2012
Bryan/College Station, Tx
by the info you have given and just by the pics thats a nice car for 2500 or less i would by it, i hear you about that loud exhuast with the cam...good lookin car though buy it

85cut420

Apprentice
Nov 19, 2011
Wake Co, NC
It has mininmal surface rust in the regular gbody spots, like the edges of the wheelwells and some undercarriage spots. Also another one about 2 inches big in the rear passenger quarter panel. Not a garage find yet not Northern-car bad. About the same as the Cutlass I sold had, and the Cutlass has been in FL and NC its whole life.

Inter, this was initially a V6 car, that is why it is not compatible, according to the seller, it would not fit with the new motor and was removed.

Thanks for the advice everybody, keep it coming, it's looking more and more like I'll be calling the guy tomorrow...

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
I'm pretty sure that the v-6 setup would fit with the v-8 block, when I went from the v-6 to the v-8 in my '79 Monte, man I miss that car, it all went together no problems....But for that price, it's a steal...Scoop that baby up!!! 8)

JRG53

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2011
Petal, MS
What did you say you were waiting for?

On the flip side, most of the time a deal too good to be true is just that....decisions decisions :wink:

maliburacinfreak

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2005
Evansville, IN
418 rwhp=well over 500hp at the crank. the motor alone is worth alot more than his $2500 asking price. kinda sounds too good to be true. still looks like a clean car though, probably worth $2500 even with a stock 305

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor