Should I even mess with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
I found this Dart Big M block on eBay and I dunno, it's got a big chunk out of the bottom of one of the jugs from what looks like a rod went flying. It's a tall deck and the guy said he was running a 4.75 inch crank, he claims with a shorter crank it would be fine. I want to build a BBC with a 4.25 or 4.375 crank. Would you even bother messing with something like that? That block would set you back about 2,200 bucks new and it's currently only 300 bucks plus 200 shipping... Which is why I'm thinking about it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DART-BIG-M-BIG- ... es&vxp=mtr

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Thats quite a chunk of metal missing.Without having a machine shop to check it,I'd say its a crapshot.
Could be a real good deal,or an expensive pile of scrap metal.
Although it might be possible to have it sleeved :?:
Guy

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Yeah that's what I was thinking, it could probably be sleeved and I figure since he said it was a 632 cubic inch, with a 4.75 inch stroke... That means it had a 4.60 bore. Dart says the max bore on the Big M is 6.625 that's almost the end of the life of that block, not even taking into account the damage getting a sleeve that big made and installed could be quite costly. I wonder how much that chunk compromised the strength of the block?

I kind of want it, but I'm not a gambler... And 500 bucks is a lot of money to me to throw away on a possible loser. So I don't know.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
I dunno if I'd mess with it, dart or not...Maybe bring the E-Bay ad to your Machine shop and see what they say??? 8)

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
That is a good idea contacting Dart and saying with a short say 4.375 stroke and a (relative) mild street motor will this work? Depending on your goals obviously but I am assuming steet or you probably wouldn't be posting here. It would still be 582ci and take some serious heads to feed it. 8) I once looked at doing a 4.500 bore 4.600 stroke Cadillac for a 585ci. :mrgreen: Not real acclimated to the 632 but haven't really seen anything 4.500 stroke or longer that I liked. I like the 4.375 stroke motor though. I actually looked more seriously about building a 4.400 bore 4.420 stroke 542ci Mopar journal Caddy though and was very impressed with one I saw dynoed. The heads to get them to breath are a whole nother deal though. Might find a forum with people in the know in regards to that block.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
That's a good idea guys thanks I think I'll do that.

Plus yeah it would be on the relatively mild side, well as mild as a 582 big block chevy can be... :mrgreen: Pump gas 6,500 rpm range on the high side. More interested in it as a torque monster street powerplant than a screaming drag race engine.

13bravo

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2011
Hudson, NY
I'd also see if he can get some better pictures. The bottom of the bore isn't all that bad looking to me, I've sleeved worse.
It's what you really can't see that kind of bothers me. The top left of the one picture looks like the oil pan rail is cracked.

Believe it or not I think I have a 4.625 bore sleeve sitting in my cabinet. It's an easily gotten sleeve anyways. Remember diesels have some mighty big bores, and they need just as big of sleeves to repair them.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
I'm 99% sure that's gasket material that the guy was too lazy to scrape off... Because if you look in some of the other pictures it looks the same way around the rest of the pan rails. But will do...

Of course I'm doing what I always do... I have the money for it, but I'll be broke if I buy it and it'll be years before I'd have the cash saved up to build the rest of it. But if all it needs is one sleeve or just to be bored out then it's such a good deal I'll be kicking myself for not buying it. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor