???SHOULD I JUNK A CLASSIC???

Status
Not open for further replies.

22Clean

Apprentice
Mar 22, 2011
Detroit, MI
^^^that doesnt sound have bad but i dont wanna deal with the hassle of showing the piece and then no one wants it and its just sitting around taking up space (like the car is doing). plus these 78-80 cutlasses are getting more hard to find and are getting to be costly.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Sounds like a money pit to me. Part this car out, scrap the rest, and find something better to start with. Just my opinion.

78PontiacGP

Greasemonkey
Sep 6, 2009
Queens,Ny
Junking a classic is almost like killing an old person i wouldnt do it, But if you can live with that go ahead lol

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I would try to find a solid Cutlass. Then take any usable parts off of the one you have and sell everything you don't plan on using. It's VERY handy having a parts car around.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
78PontiacGP said:
Junking a classic is almost like killing an old person i wouldnt do it, But if you can live with that go ahead lol
:rofl: Nice!

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I'm still waiting to hear about the classic he's going to junk....

G bodies are hardly classics...this comes from a guy who loves 'em and drives one daily, but they're a LONG ways from being classics.

IMO, pull decent parts, scrap the rustbucket. Sure, you could replace the floor, but what about all the areas you CAN'T see? Inside rockers, hinge pillars, cowl?

HarryOlds86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2011
Huntsburg, Ohio
From my experiences..... Once these cars start rusting, it's hard to stop them! The Cutlass i have now is the 5th G-body that I've owned. If the first one didn't rot out, I'd still have it. If your taking body classes it's good to have a "practice" car. Floor pans are cheap and it would give you good experience to try it. If nothing else, patch it up the best you can (for as cheap as you can) and sell it and buy a better (rust free) one.

HarryOlds86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2011
Huntsburg, Ohio
Ribbedroof said:
I'm still waiting to hear about the classic he's going to junk....

G bodies are hardly classics...this comes from a guy who loves 'em and drives one daily, but they're a LONG ways from being classics.

IMO, pull decent parts, scrap the rustbucket. Sure, you could replace the floor, but what about all the areas you CAN'T see? Inside rockers, hinge pillars, cowl?

In 1990, I junked a 1971 Pontiac LeMans because it was tired and beat-up. I didn't feel bad about it because it was nothing special at the time. Now beat-up Pontiac Lemans are going for BIG BUCKS! G-body's may not be at Barrett-Jackson at the moment, but they're the last full frame, v-8, rwd mid-size car that GM made. I looked for 3 years to find an "affordable" Cutlass that was rust free. The prices are going up and I wouldn't be suprised to see one on Barret-Jackson in the next ten years. :D

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Barrett Jackson is a joke :roll: If I were you I would do what HarryOlds said; use this car as a practice car for school that way if you mess up you dont have to be seen in it and your not out anything on it. And in the meantime sell all the "valuable" parts from it to make your money back and you kill two stones with one bird!

22Clean

Apprentice
Mar 22, 2011
Detroit, MI
LIKE A GUY SAID BEFORE ITS GETTING HARD TO FIND A CLEAN 78-80 CUTLASS. I'VE HAD SO MANY 81-87 CUTLASSES AND ALWAYS WANTED A 78-80 MALIBU SO I THOUGHT WHY NOT GET THE CUTLASS THAT YEAR BECAUSE IT BASICALLY THE SAME BODY. BUT WE ALL KNOW HOW MUCH THOSE MALIBUS CAN GO FOR. MIX REVIEWS ON THIS ONE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor