Should my transmission cooler line be bent like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdaniel05

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2011
Spokane, Washington
I discovered something like this much later after I bought my grand prix. The previous owner said that his wife had put it in the ditch a year before selling the car. Mine was not quite pinched as bad as yours. But he said that he had changed out the trans 6 months before selling the car, but failed to mention why. later when I took it in to be rebuilt which was about 3 years later. The tech said that there was a lot of signs of overheating damage that drastically shortened the life of my transmission. At that time I looked around for the cause and found almost the same thing that you have in your picture. I was lucky enough to find a comparable cooler line out of a caprice classic that worked for me. From the looks of it...my guess would be that you are only getting about 20% of the flow that you should be getting. I wouldnt be suprise If you are leaning towards the side of overheating your trans at this point. It would probably be in your best interest to replace your cooler lines with direct replacement or custom. When I replaced my cooler lines at a later date, I replaced them with custom high pressure/temp Hydraulic steel braided lines, but it was a bit spendy. I had them made at a hose fabrication shop. about $140.00 if I recall right.

May 25, 2011
I decided to replace both lines with stainless braided hose. Anybody know where I can get the fittings? If so do you happen to know the part or model numbers?

-Scott

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
With the braided stainless hose, you will need adapters to whatever style fitting you are using with the hose :idea: Are you using AN fittings or did you get the stuff that you just clamp with a standard hose clamp :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor