Simple sway bar question

Status
Not open for further replies.

88MONTESS

Greasemonkey
Sep 27, 2009
I recently purchased tubular rear upper and lower control arms. I just realized that they dont have a spot to mount the stock rear sway bars too. So do I still need the rear swaybars with tubalar upper and lower arms?

If so how do I mount them?

mkiiisupra

Master Mechanic
Dec 28, 2008
Versailles, KY
yes you do still need a rear sway bar. And most tubular arms have the holes for the sway bar, if yours didnt I would suggest taking them back or calling the company and get dimensions to drill your own, very odd that they dont have sway bar mounts.

88MONTESS

Greasemonkey
Sep 27, 2009
That sucks because they are already installed now. I kinda thought that it was odd that they didnt have sway bar mounting holes also. What would be damaged if I continue to drive the car this way?

Attachments

• kaidou_1010_4.jpg
    kaidou_1010_4.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 148

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Same thing on my car, but I had Speedway boxed arms so it was easier to drill and weld steel tubing into the arms so I could mount the sway bars. These A/G bodies really need them. No damage, just more roll in turns. Did they have poly bushings? That helps a lot.

88MONTESS

Greasemonkey
Sep 27, 2009
Yes they are poly. They are a great improvement over stock but I havent tried any corners at speed, I usually run straight line (qtr mile) but at the same time I dont want to lose it on a offramp at 65mph. I also guess having sway bars also help with straightline traction. What a day :(

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
When I was searching for control arms I noticed that not all were for sway bars. I'm guessing they offer both types since a drag racer would need boxed or tubular arms for strength or re-configuring his rear end geometry and have no need for a sway bar since he only goes straight. A road racer would definately want sway bars since he's making fast turns all day. The price for sway bar mount type was about 50 bucks more.

88MONTESS

Greasemonkey
Sep 27, 2009
Yes I hope that I can pull it off for a while with no sway bars in the rear. Project funds are low right now. I'll order the ones with the mounts or mod the ones I have when I get a chance. My main concern was whether or not this would damage something.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Should be safe. All non F-41 cars came without rear sway bars. But, as far as drag races not needing them. G-bodies need that rear bar, otherwise the body twists to the side really bad on launch (on a high powered car).

88MONTESS

Greasemonkey
Sep 27, 2009
Phoenyx said:
Should be safe. All non F-41 cars came without rear sway bars. But, as far as drag races not needing them. G-bodies need that rear bar, otherwise the body twists to the side really bad on launch (on a high powered car).

What would you consider high powered?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I don't drag race but I tow boats. When you try to back up without that bar the rear of the car gyrates like crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor