so whats the best weatherstrip brand for complete kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

84hurst

Apprentice
Aug 17, 2008
Lansing
wondering what experiences youguys have had with the aftermarket weatherstrip companies?? which ones to stay away from, and the famous question: whats the best one for a decent price??? the actual GM ones arent quite in my budget right now, i've seen a few in the 300-400 dollar range, and i havent read good things about softseal. I know theres a Metro brand and Steele rubber to name a few. Im looking for a complete kit for the whole car with T-tops. Any help would be great!!

84hurst

Apprentice
Aug 17, 2008
Lansing
sooooooooo........ nobodys ever replaced their weatherstrip??????

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
I have the Metro kit but haven't installed it yet. So I'm not much help.

From everyone I've talked to, the only weather stripping that actually fits well is the original GM stuff.

Scimitar

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 2, 2009
I'd avoid Metro like the plague. I have it on mine and they leak like crazy. At first I thought it was just a bad set, so I called to get them replaced, got a runaround about how they were installed improperly (seriously, how do you screw up weatherstripping? even if you could, the problem was not installation, it was a massive bulge that prevented the window from seating!). They eventually sent me a new set, and it had the exact same problem. I tried to return them to get my money back, but they told me that since they had been installed, they wouldn't give me a refund, just another set.

So yeah, avoid them.

cdg1984

G-Body Guru
Oct 18, 2009
Evansville IN
Im new to working on cars so i dont know a whole lot, but this is one thing i DO know ( unfortunatley ). Pretty much all aftermarket stuff is crap. First i got soffseal cuz i heard good things. Totally sucked. Then i got Steelerubber, again cuz i heard good things. It sucks too. It doesnt seal very well at the top and you have to stretch and pull and squish to even get it in. And i know I just didnt do crappy work cuz my uncle who has been doing body work for 15-20 years said i did it right, and agreed that aftermarket sh*t sux. I would highly recommend saving the $ you'd spend on aftermarket and put it toward GM stuff. Sorry to rant, im still just kind pissed about it.

84hurst

Apprentice
Aug 17, 2008
Lansing
yeah im sure the oem stuff would be the way to go, but i was hopin to get by with a good aftermarket set for now, afterall its always in the garage and the only time it gets wet is when i wash it and the random storm i get caught in. And when it does get wet im sure to take the T-tops off and let everything dry out. What are youguys using this stuff for more of a daily driver or a restoration job??

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
I third the GM stuff, but it's not always going to be available, I had okay luck with using door seals from Soft Seal, they fit, they seal, but they're obviously aftermarket, (they look funny). I tried a company called "Repop" for the outer window seals (or sweeps) they were complete garbage, nothing right about them, ended going GM, much happier, but of course $$$$$.
(summertime daily driver by the way)

cdg1984

G-Body Guru
Oct 18, 2009
Evansville IN
Im using the steele rubber ones i got for a daily driver. The thing that bugs me the most is they leak when i wash it. Door seals arent too terrible. Its the roof rail seals that i hate. I defintly wouldnt use this garbage for a resto job. I guess if u just need some to hold u over for a while, Steele Rubber will work. Theres a deeper groove in them for the window to " seal " into than with the soffseal ones, so thats a plus.

84hurst

Apprentice
Aug 17, 2008
Lansing
Hey i forgot to ask youguys if you're dealing with a T-top car or not?? im really just looking for a kit to get me by for a few years, im painting it in the srping and i'll already be approaching the $4000 mark, so to be honest if i got 5 years out of an aftermarket set i'd be ok with that, because i cant imagine the oem GM stuff being anything under $1000 for everything.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Here's what I've heard about the various brands...

Soffseal was junk.
I've heard better reviews about MetroMoulded Parts/SuperSoft.

I've used stuff from Metro and Steele on other projects at work and was pretty happy with the product, though I can't vouch for the G-body pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor