So you want to install a 4L80E? Learn from my mistakes (and successes!)

kiko

kiko

Greasemonkey
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Great info! Much appreciated! This thread has been dormant for a while -- let's hope someone is still watching... :unsure: I hope that this won't be considered as "high jacking".

I was considering replacing my 700R4 with a beefed-up 4L60E due to the form-fit factor -- no mods required. However, after some research, I'm now leaning towards a 4L80E because of the 454BB and the new rear end that I just put in (Chassisworks FAB9 with Strange 3.70). I need some guidance...

Since you have a very similar setup to what I'm looking for, I'd appreciate your input (and anyone else's for that matter). However, my car is a bit different -- it's a 1983 model.
1. Would the tunnel space be the same?
2. Would I need to change the flex plate? (mine is a GM 14"; 168-tooth; external balance; dual bolt pattern)
3. Any thoughts on new converters?
4. I have a B&M QuickSilver Shifter -- any issues with adapting it to this electronic tranny?

Again, no intentions to derail your thread, but maybe some others with later G-Bodies will benefit as well. I follow your build with interest and wish you luck!

81cutlass

Royal Smart Person
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
454GrandPrix

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
1. Would the tunnel space <of my 1983 car> be the same?
I am just guessing, but probably so. There was no transmission option for 1983 which is significantly larger than any offered in 1980, so I doubt the doghouse would have been reshaped at all. Just saw the ears off and you'll probably be fine.

2. Would I need to change the flex plate? (mine is a GM 14"; 168-tooth; external balance; dual bolt pattern)
I have had flexplates break on me in the past (such as when I was drag racing my turbo Caravan), so out of habit I always install a new one every time I separate my engine and transmission. This means I installed a new one when I did my swap. Does it spec out the same as the one on your 700R4? I don't know for certain. But even if it does spec out the same, I'd replace it. ;)

3. Any thoughts on new converters?
I think they're great if you're looking for a way to spend more money. I just re-used my stock one. My cam isn't aggressive enough to demand an upgraded one. YMMV.

4. I have a B&M QuickSilver Shifter -- any issues with adapting it to this electronic tranny?
I would expect it to operate the transmission just fine. Heck, I'm currently using one off a FWD Grand Prix. Anything that moves the little shift lever in the correct direction and distance ought to be fine.

BTW: a co-worker recently turned me on to the Winters Sidewinder shifter. I have decided I am going to put one in my car so I can finally properly engage every gear as I desire.

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.summitracing.com%2Fglobal%2Fimages%2Fprod%2Fxlarge%2Fwpp-187-1_xl.jpg&hash=554aef5fdda7e7b587b2515fcda86b6e

kiko

kiko

Greasemonkey
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Thanks so much for taking the time to go thru my list of questions and provide such informative responses! Much appreciated! (y)

Good luck with your build and keep posting -- It's always interesting to read!!

F

focused313

Master Mechanic
May 1, 2014
glad I saw this thread. The $2000+ people want around here to build a 2004r sounded like a bit much.

L

livingez123

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 9, 2018
I had to chuckle while reading this.

K

ken87cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 24, 2014
Evansville, IN
Any word on the Winters Shifter install?

I'm contemplating putting one in my 87 Cutlass. Really wanting to know if I can keep my stock console without cutting it up too much