Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
1984-monte-carlo-ss said:
i felt like i should share this with everybody on GBF lol tell me your opinions
You asked for it...
My opinion is that, while parts of this story may be true, I doubt many of the details.
1. The new purchase price for an '87 GN would have been near 20K. Adjusted for today's economy around $50,000. You know many high school kids who buy $50K new cars? Maybe daddy bought it.
2. I don't really doubt that your dad had a '67 Nova at all. I don't doubt that that it had a 327. I don't even doubt that it was out of a Corvette (not that it really matters). I DO doubt that it was "pushing over 600hp". While not terribly uncommon today, an honest 600hp out of a SBC in the 80's was extremely rare and expensive. I doubt a high school student had one in his daily driver. Keep in mind that the GN was only rated at about 250hp. Maybe there was a race - maybe your dad won. In his lighter Nova he wouldn't have needed more than 300hp to do so. Remember that the new Corvette at the time only made 250hp.
3. I'm also having a tough time accepting that after spending that much money on his new GN + "pretty much all the bolt ons that you could get", he was prompted to immediately gut and repower his brand new GN due to the crippling embarrassment of one lost race against your dad. Maybe the GN did eventually become a gutted 455 car. I just don't think your dad's nova was the sole reason.

The fact of the matter is I wasn't there - but neither were you. I'm not necessarily calling your dad a liar...he may have just exaggerated the details a bit.

1984-monte-carlo-ss

G-Body Guru
May 30, 2011
Long Island, New York
DRIVEN said:
1984-monte-carlo-ss said:
i felt like i should share this with everybody on GBF lol tell me your opinions
You asked for it...
My opinion is that, while parts of this story may be true, I doubt many of the details.
1. The new purchase price for an '87 GN would have been near 20K. Adjusted for today's economy around $50,000. You know many high school kids who buy $50K new cars? Maybe daddy bought it.
2. I don't really doubt that your dad had a '67 Nova at all. I don't doubt that that it had a 327. I don't even doubt that it was out of a Corvette (not that it really matters). I DO doubt that it was "pushing over 600hp". While not terribly uncommon today, an honest 600hp out of a SBC in the 80's was extremely rare and expensive. I doubt a high school student had one in his daily driver. Keep in mind that the GN was only rated at about 250hp. Maybe there was a race - maybe your dad won. In his lighter Nova he wouldn't have needed more than 300hp to do so. Remember that the new Corvette at the time only made 250hp.
3. I'm also having a tough time accepting that after spending that much money on his new GN + "pretty much all the bolt ons that you could get", he was prompted to immediately gut and repower his brand new GN due to the crippling embarrassment of one lost race against your dad. Maybe the GN did eventually become a gutted 455 car. I just don't think your dad's nova was the sole reason.

The fact of the matter is I wasn't there - but neither were you. I'm not necessarily calling your dad a liar...he may have just exaggerated the details a bit.
first off my dad did have a 600 hp nova bec he showd me a dyno sheet and that guy did buy everything himself because he saved up a shitload of money because he started working when he was 12 and i acctually talked to the guy because my dads friend still talks to him and he was telling me that he gutted his car and dropped a 455 in it because my dad beat him a few times so it is true the guy said yes because it was a new car he didnt think anything about taking the turbo v6 out but im sorry to tell you your wrong but you are, my dads nova was stupid fast, he knew people that owned machine shops and transmission shops so yea his car was fast as hell

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
"one day he borrowed his friends slicks to see what it would do and he almost flipped the car when he stomped on the gas because the car was pretty much straight up in the air"

Ok. Sounds legit to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor