Something of interest for you LT1 guys. Take a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy_W

G-Body Guru
Oct 16, 2005
Eastern Shore
It basically uses a speed density system like the '92 Vette had and uses generic GM coil packs.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Yup. Looks like a pretty simple (crude) system. Not even a closed loop function. All the parts look like off the shelf GM parts. The only item I didn't recognize was the controller/ECM. Looks to be a GM marine MEFI-1 or MEFI-2. I think I remember reading that this was the original base for the Ramjet crate engine. Now I think the Ramjet uses the MEFI-4.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
That's really cool. Being a waste-fire system, I hope they used platinum plugs to stand up to the polarity reversal that occurs because changing plugs on a boat is worse than a car. You can't get underneath! Good thing the manifolds go up.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
DRIVEN said:
I know the angle of the picture makes it look tighter than it is. It's in a direct drive inboard with 360* access because the engine is in the center of the boat. The bottom of the manifolds are actually 6-8" from the floor so clearance was great. It took maybe 5 mins to replace the plugs. I used AC platinums. Since there was no direct lookup for the wires I ended up using under-the-manifold wires for a 1982(?) C10 pickup with a 350. The photo was taken before I did any work to it. I make it a habit of using lots of dielectric grease on all terminals...important on cars and mandatory on boats. The factory used none :shock: .
On a side note, I also replaced the fuel filter, water pump, oil change (that was a major PITA), cleaned the throttle body and K&N, checked fuel pressure and volume, ohm checked injectors, coil output test at 30kv, tested MAP and TPS. The owner was chasing a stumble at around 2000-2200rpm. I couldn't duplicate it or find an obvious culprit. The check engine light was inop and I couldn't retrieve codes without the dedicated reader. I also winterized it and did a bunch of work on the trailer/brakes. That thing was in my driveway for almost 2 months. My experience with boats is that they pay pretty well but parts are not always easy to source and the turnaround time sucks.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Well that's why they call a boat a "hole in the water that you throw money into". That's great about the plug clearance, my buddy's Bayliner had a 454 that was so tight they had to pull the motor to change the starter. And he can only change the oil with one of those oil siphon pumps that snake down the dipstick tube. That's why I like small boats with outboards, easy maintenance.

Randy_W

G-Body Guru
Oct 16, 2005
Eastern Shore
It wasn't even that bad putting plugs in my Donzi with the big blocks. :wink:

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
My dad has a 27' Searay with twin 350s. Luckily, it hasn't needed any engine work yet. He does the oil changes and winterization. I have serviced the outdrives and replaced impellers but there was lots of room to work on them. The generator on the other hand... :evil: .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor