Speaker Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Front are 3 1/2" Rounds & rears are 4"X10" There are very few "good" 4x10 made anymore. However there are adapter plates that let you use a standard 6x9. This is what I did. I have Sony Xplod 6x9 in the back(with adapter plates) & Pioneer 3 1/2" rounds in the front, driven by a Sony Xplod 50x4 deck & 300W amp.

StingRay1502

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 15, 2007
AZ
Thanks. Does the amp make a lot of difference in the speakers? and what is the easiest way to get to the front speakers. thanks!

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
StingRay1502 said:
Thanks. Does the amp make a lot of difference in the speakers? and what is the easiest way to get to the front speakers. thanks!

just take a flat head screw driver to the side of the speak grill plate (i guess you'd call it that) and pry it up, it should pop out

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
The rears come out from underneath the package tray. You remove them by popping the metal bail from out of it's slot, and then they should drop out pretty easily. As for the fronts, there was also a pretty rare Regal option that included 5.25 in mid woofers in the doors with tweeters in the dash in the stock 3.5 locations. It was called "Concert Sound II" and is very hard to come by. The door speakers had grilles that mounted to the lower door panlels. I have a whole setup because I am a bit of a junkyard dog and spent way too much of my youth scrounging around the U Pull Its pulling rare parts from unwanted late 70's and 80's cars that no one wanted at the time.

It is nice to have the door speakers because G bodies have terrible staging due to the tiny front speakers. They also respond good to a pair of subs because of the large trunk volume. If I were to build a system on a budget, I would probably get a decent deck with MP3 player connectivity and adjustable sub gain control on it. Then, I would get some mid priced 6x9's and try against hope to find the factory door speaker setup then run some decent separates up front. Add to that some inexpensive subs (at least 2 10's) like the Pioneer IMPP's and at least a 250-300 watt sub amp. Unless you are into music with a ton of Bass, you do not need very powerful subs to sound good. They mainly provide some power to the music. The subs in my truck are from the early 90's (10" IMPP's) with a donated Jensen 250 watt amp. The door speakers came from a wrecked Taurus and are by Cerwin Vega- I paid less than $10 for them! Just avoid Sony if at all possible as they do not seem to make a good head unit that lasts very long. Try the scratch and dent sales or try to get a display model at a major retailer then add the extended warranty. I have less than $300 in my whole system and it actually sounds good.

If you try to go speaker hunting in the junk yards, the best bet is to look at the imports. More of them are Youth owned and as such are more likely to have better speakers. The 3.5's I have for My Cutlass are JBL Coaxials I salvaged from a VW Jetta. Again, I paid around $10. You can sometimes find a factory component system in late model cars like Cadillacs and Buicks too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor