Specialty car insurance for highly modified cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I use Hagerty. $25k coverage for $260/yr full coverage.
Policy is limited to drive less than 5,000 miles. All they asked for were front, back and side shots and the current mileage on the car. This was also 3 years ago when I created the policy and still have the same policy. Not sure what or if any of this has changed.
I might do Haggerty, they did have questions pertaining to roll bars and nitrous and my online quote was just under my new rate but I would have to talk to them first.
I would actually hope they would want a bunch of pictures prior to making the policy.

Reactions: 1 user

Ricketts

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 27, 2020
Fayetteville NC
I use Haggerty. $25k coverage for $260/yr full coverage.

Policy is limited to drive less than 5,000 miles. All they asked for were front, back and side shots and the current mileage on the car. This was also 3 years ago when I created the policy and still have the same policy. Not sure what or if any of this has changed.

Wonder whats changed? I JUST did a online quote(81 Monte), for $15k coverage it was $457.76 yr. I put will drive about 3000 miles a year.

Kemper1976

Greasemonkey
Jul 25, 2017
Topeka, KS
Wonder whats changed? I JUST did a online quote(81 Monte), for $15k coverage it was $457.76 yr. I put will drive about 3000 miles a year.
They likely have a formula which makes the rates vary from person to person based on location, age, driving record, deductible etc.... my rate went from $230 to $260 over 3 years.

Last edited:

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
My rates will always be higher in MI since we have to pay into the Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association (MCCA),

I have Erie, when I went from regular coverage to stated value my rates went down a little. My stated value is pretty high and they never even asked for pictures. Not sure if they are in MI.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I have Erie, when I went from regular coverage to stated value my rates went down a little. My stated value is pretty high and they never even asked for pictures. Not sure if they are in MI.

Be careful there, stated value is not the same as agreed value.

Stated value means that's the most they'll pay out, period. They actually pay ACV (actual cash value) UP TO the stated value. Guess who decides what the ACV is.....

You really want an agreed value policy, which in the event of a total loss or unrecovered theft, pays the agreed value.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
My rates will always be higher in MI since we have to pay into the Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association (MCCA),

Hopefully that is going to get reduced and a historic plate will help also. I use Grundy but they are all about the same $$.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Right now I’m looking into American Classic Insurance, National Corvette Musuem (who knew?), and Hagerty (once their god awful website starts to work again). I just want a policy that will allow me to drive the car, and has almost no questions asked agreed value, maybe that’s unrealistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor