Squealing When in Neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Built6spdMCSS - I'm not sure I understand what you mean by a pull type pressure plate. I believe the one in the car is a diaphragm design.
They all are a diagphram. Post a pic or link of what Clutch Kit is in there right now.

Full Garage

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 10, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
Built6spdMCSS - I've attached a picture of the box from the current clutch assay. The previous 2 were both LuK, but different p/n's.
20221211_112449.jpg

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
It the clutch linkage leaving pressure on the throwout bearing? If the bearing surface is just rubbing the pressure plate fingers, it could make the squealing noise. You mentioned a change in linkage rod. Are all the pullback springs back where they should be? Did you try tweaking the adjustment on that push rod?

Full Garage

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 10, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
ssn696 - working backwards on your questions:
1. My clutch rod allows for me to adjust the take-up and subsequently the release points. Right now the clutch begins to engage about 1" off of the floor. This leaves about 1-1/2" of free play in the pedal before the clutch starts to disengage. This is not quite per factory specs, but "feels" good to me. I've adjusted the rod multiple times to test different release/engagement points with no luck yet.
2. I believe that the springs (2 springs in series) are located where they should be. If I do not orient the spring hooks just "right" the spring will rub against the starter. See the attached picture.
3. I suppose the t.o. bearing could be "just" touching the diaphragm fingers. I can't see a way to visually verify without a boroscope, which maybe I need to do. Any thoughts?
Thanks.
20221211_162204.jpg

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Wondering why the lower push rod looks cobbled together. it is reproduced. As for the free play, the service manual list 24.6mm +/- 7.5mm (0.97'' +/- 0.30") as where it should be. Tighten things closer to spec & see what happens.

Full Garage

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 10, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
Built6spdMCSS - it actually sounds just like a fan belt; chirp, chirp. One thing I'm not sure about is if it changes frequency with engine speed. I'll see if I can get a video posted tomorrow.

pagrunt - I did that because I couldn't find a replacement. I haven't found many parts for the Pontiac G-body. If you happen to have a source for the lower push rod I'd appreciate the info. I've found a lot of "fit", but aren't correct for the Grand Am. Coil springs and the brake master cylinder come to mind immediately.
Thank you both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor