Stainless HEaders

Status
Not open for further replies.

eversmann79

Greasemonkey
Jan 29, 2011
im buying stainless headers tomorow after i found them on CL. Question is when i looked at them, they had a little surface rust. is this normal or?

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Pretty sure stainless steel doesn't rust. I can get a tarnish on the surface, that can usually be removed.

eversmann79

Greasemonkey
Jan 29, 2011
ya it was kinda like little rust spots i guess. not anything serious. just like like dots of rust

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Be sure they are stainless and not just some junk ceramic coated headers that are starting to rust through. Hold a magnet to them. The stainless shouldn't be magnetic :idea:

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
Just did a search of "will stainless steel ever rust?" Some say yes, and some say no (all giving their own reasons why!). It was interesting reading.
I can tell you this. As a retired factory tinsmith with over 35 years on the job, if the stainless steel we used to make duct work for our chrome plater systems wasn't prepared correctly, rust could show up (on the surface). We couldn't grind with belts/wheels containing iron and only stainless wire brushes and wheels could be used to clean the surface for welding.
Our prints came with alot of "to do" and "not to do" notes on them!

Doug

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
IIRC it depends on the grade of stainless. Some will rust, some won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor