Stalls when hitting gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
thank you everyone for the feedback, i can say this forum is amazing.

im going to plan on doing a carb rebuild, unless an aftermarket one would be best? any recommendation if i should go aftermarket?

I will look around my area see if i can get an estimate if i go the rebuild route.

thank you again all for your time

take care

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
rebuild the one you have, you won't find an aftermarket carb that would would work better

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Adding to what GP said, the newest dualjet was made in the late 1980s. Every single dual jet you see for sale is rebuilt, no matter who it's from. Same with quadrajets, or almost any rochester product. Unless you find an "nos" (New Old stock, new as in never installed on a car, old as in its still and old part, stock as in factory part), basically factory leftovers. But they would still need rebuilt because after 3 decades+ the seals and gaskets are all dried out.

So the best thing is to go through your carb, test all the sensors, or if you want to pay a bit more but have it come back right, send it to a place like everydayperformance, quadrajet power, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
Adding to what GP said, the newest dualjet was made in the late 1980s. Every single dual jet you see for sale is rebuilt, no matter who it's from. Same with quadrajets, or almost any rochester product. Unless you find an "nos" (New Old stock, new as in never installed on a car, old as in its still and old part, stock as in factory part), basically factory leftovers. But they would still need rebuilt because after 3 decades+ the seals and gaskets are all dried out.

So the best thing is to go through your carb, test all the sensors, or if you want to pay a bit more but have it come back right, send it to a place like everydayperformance, quadrajet power, etc.
thanks for the tips, definitely plan to start by getting the carb rebuilt

Jim87elko

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 16, 2020
i need to find where it is and i will try that
Having similar problems. Not an expert but will be soon because my Quadrajet is forcing me to be. Anyway with cold engine hit the gas pedal once and choke should snap completely closed as soon as engine starts it should open about 1/8” just like your photo so the engine can run and warm up. If anyone out there knows for sure please correct me if I am wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
Hello everyone,

I come with good news. After having the carb rebuilt, the car is driving very smooth.

Big thanks to all of you for the advice. I can now start to enjoy and go a cruise not having to worry about stalls. :)

I’ll be working on adding a rear sway bar, currently has none.

I do have a question though, trying to figure out is this a BAR or MAP sensor ? Looking at Rockauto becoming familiar with the sensors, those 2 look the same.

Attachments

• F71DCD6F-7AA5-4813-A716-AAD3D5998510.jpeg
    F71DCD6F-7AA5-4813-A716-AAD3D5998510.jpeg
    754.3 KB · Views: 143
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor