Starter Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetroRob

Greasemonkey
Jan 14, 2014
Question,

We noticed when removing the old starter the outside hole in the block is chipped I want to say only about 65% of the hole is there it's on the outside corner of the block, We put a new starter in it last Sunday and all has been well up to today, Starting the car it sounds like it has loosened off a little so I will crawl under and re torque it.. My question is what is the best way to repair that hole.. Someone suggested the stuff they use when they bore out and get into the water jackets, it's like JB weld but better... I just don't want to have to climb under the car once a week to tighten the starter lol

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
MetroRob said:
Question,

We noticed when removing the old starter the outside hole in the block is chipped I want to say only about 65% of the hole is there it's on the outside corner of the block, We put a new starter in it last Sunday and all has been well up to today, Starting the car it sounds like it has loosened off a little so I will crawl under and re torque it.. My question is what is the best way to repair that hole.. Someone suggested the stuff they use when they bore out and get into the water jackets, it's like JB weld but better... I just don't want to have to climb under the car once a week to tighten the starter lol
Try a little medium strength thread locker. With that, it will keep the bolt from coming loose and you will be able to remove it by hand if it ever needs to come back off.

MetroRob

Greasemonkey
Jan 14, 2014
Evan's 85 said:
MetroRob said:
Question,

Try a little medium strength thread locker. With that, it will keep the bolt from coming loose and you will be able to remove it by hand if it ever needs to come back off.

I will try that this weekend ! Thanks

skulledmonte84

Master Mechanic
Feb 7, 2014
near Clearfield pa
MetroRob said:
williamattop said:
Can you weld it and re drill/tap it?

It would be a cast block I didn't think it could be welded

Yes it can be welded with the right welder an welding rods,but id try using some tread locker like Evan's 85 said .id spray some carb cleaner or some kind of spray cleaner up in the treads an clean the treads on the bolt so that the tread locker will stick good

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
something that most of us never install is the support bracket on the back of the starter. This may help you...

Starterbrace.jpg

MetroRob

Greasemonkey
Jan 14, 2014
pontiacgp said:
something that most of us never install is the support bracket on the back of the starter. This may help you...

Starterbrace.jpg

one up on you there.. I made sure it was installed LOL.. But that isn't saying they had it there when the engine was built.

I will try the Lock tite this weekend, and re torque 35 ft #'s correct ? and now what about the support bolt what is that torqued @ ?

MetroRob

Greasemonkey
Jan 14, 2014
Ok went and picked up a new Starter today.. Installed with Loctite (Blue) And it's still chunking I did however use a shim, I may have to shim it again or remove it all together, The Starter I removed was slightly rounded but not to bad Fly wheel still looks ok :roll:

skulledmonte84

Master Mechanic
Feb 7, 2014
near Clearfield pa
MetroRob said:
Ok went and picked up a new Starter today.. Installed with Loctite (Blue) And it's still chunking I did however use a shim, I may have to shim it again or remove it all together, The Starter I removed was slightly rounded but not to bad Fly wheel still looks ok :roll:

Take the toque converter "cover" off an with the starter still bolted on look to see if the starter gear an the flywheel looks about right .Then First unplug the distributor wire so it wouldn't start,looking up at the starter gear an flywheel have some one bump the starter an see whats going on, My guess would be it needs that shim.

If you have no one to bump the starter,take your camera an sit it up under there to were you can see it ,Sit it to "record" ,bump the starter over by yourself ,then watch the video :D i did this before lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor