Starter Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Just to put in my two cents,
I work at AZ and I can tell you that starters and alternators are only as good as the wires, switches and batteries that are hooked to them. 75-80% of the defective starters and alternators we take back ARE NOT defective when tested, but were installed with substandard wires, batteries, and switches. There are only a few manufacturers of starters and alternators left in the world so chances are, the same part at napa is in the box at AZ with Duralast written on it. Same with batteries, radiators, and filters.

This is the starter for a 307 OLDS motor.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... juwjZ9rict

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
bill said:
I work at AZ and I can tell you that starters and alternators are only as good as the wires, switches and batteries that are hooked to them. 75-80% of the defective starters and alternators we take back ARE NOT defective when tested, but were installed with substandard wires, batteries, and switches. There are only a few manufacturers of starters and alternators left in the world so chances are, the same part at napa is in the box at AZ with Duralast written on it. Same with batteries, radiators, and filters.

X2 I am a PSM myself and have a autozone starter for a 307 in my cutlass. It turns my 350 over just fine. I also replaced my positive cable, negative cable, ignition switch, ignition tumbler, and starter wires.

My car starts up like a brand new one every time. With my "cheap" autozone starter. :D

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
84Hurst/Olds said:
bill said:

X2 I am a PSM myself and have a autozone starter for a 307 in my cutlass. It turns my 350 over just fine. I also replaced my positive cable, negative cable, ignition switch, ignition tumbler, and starter wires.

My car starts up like a brand new one every time. With my "cheap" autozone starter. :D
Gimme an A! Gimme a U! Gimme a T! Gimme an O! Gimme a Z! Gimme an O! Gimme a N! Gimme an E!

Every parts store has its share of knowledgeable parts pros and a few brain dead counter persons. Just like most cops are public servants and a few are crooks with badges and there are some politicians that are crooks and the rest that havent been caught yet.....lol.

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
Enough with the cheer! :rofl:
Yeap I agree 100%... Well at least in my store I try and limit the amount a brain dead people we have behind the counter. Most everybody that works at my store is knowledgeable. I just hate to see people bash parts stores. Most of the parts are rebuilt by the same companies.

442Jayp

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2010
well when i went back to autozone they said it was the wrong starter im not bashing any parts but at the same time im not going to keep dealing with the IDIOTS at AUTOZONE in my neighborhood..i been going back and forth with them for about 2 months and they never get it right..so im dealing with pepboys now

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
442Jayp said:
well when i went back to autozone they said it was the wrong starter im not bashing any parts but at the same time im not going to keep dealing with the IDIOTS at AUTOZONE in my neighborhood..i been going back and forth with them for about 2 months and they never get it right..so im dealing with pepboys now

Not to cause any trouble, but if I could record the conversations I have had on the phone with people and the amount of time I have wasted with people in the store because they either dont know what they are doing or they dont know what kinda car they have, you would see that the ratio of AZ IDIOT to CUSTOMER IDIOT is about 1:100! If I had a dollar for each time somebody wanted a new battery warrantied only to find out that the battery cable was loose, Id be rich!!!! And if I had a dollar for everytime a person wanted a starter or spark plugs for their car and didnt know what size engine was in it....I'd be filthy rich!!! So, my advice, find a person who knows cars and buy from him, but remember that they are not mind readers and if you give them the wrong information, they will probably give you the wrong part!
Peace.....

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
Well I guess everyone has their favorite place to buy parts. They might have a bad crew where you live... But have you got your starting problems solved yet?

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
I don't know if every part store is bad but I always get the the person that "If it's not in the computer , by make , model, and year it does not exist." I was at A.Z. yesterday ,and the young lady behind the counter could not get me a 3 ft piece of 3/8 fuel line. She could not find it in the computer.

442Jayp

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2010
haha so now ur saying i gave the wrong info yeh ok im not dumb when it comes to cars...i told them i have a olds 307 and brought my old starter in too so there is no excuse for a autozone employee to mess up when they have a cpu in their face...until autozone in my area gets a better staff im not dealing with them..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor