static drop - gotta make some skid plates

Status
Not open for further replies.

othtim

Master Mechanic
Mar 23, 2010
Hi there. I've got an 83 Monte Carlo with a good size static drop.

2" drop spindles out front
2" drop springs out back

I'm running 195/55/r14 in front and 225/60/r14 behind.

I'm thinking of increasing the static drop. However if I do this I'm nervous that I'm going to start scraping. I already scrape my low-hanging exhaust.

Where would be the best plate to build/buy skid plates? Does anyone make skid plates for g's? I'm thinking oil pan/trans pan/rear diff?

Also, how can I increase my static drop in the rear? I don't want to go much lower with the spring. I'd rather go lower with control arms - is this possible? If so, how?

Drop springs on the front - will that affect my suspension? I'm thinking another 1-1.5 inches drop up front w/ springs.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
I would imagine if you gave a machine shop some dimensions, they scould cut you some plates. I dont think anyone makes skid plates currently.

Control arms wouldn't affect your ride height. you could always cut a coil or 2, even though most guys would say not to. lowering springs in the front wouldnt hurt, just get it aligned when its all back together.

You could buy a set of f-body springs and cut them for the rear, put the pigtail on the bottom, they will sit fine in the upper "cup" even if they are cut. I'm running stock f-body springs in the rear of mine.

I wanna see pics of this thing! :twisted:

othtim

Master Mechanic
Mar 23, 2010
I already have 2 inch drop springs on the rear - don't really want to change them out. But I need a way to get the rear lower. You're saying control arms wouldn' t affect the ride height - even if I changed the mounting location of the control arms??

And yeah'll post something once I get a camera. its been reaining hardcore here

87LS/88SS

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2008
Might want to take some measurements out back. I have heard people complaining about clearance issues out back with 2.5 to 3in drops out back.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
othtim said:
I already have 2 inch drop springs on the rear - don't really want to change them out. But I need a way to get the rear lower. You're saying control arms wouldn' t affect the ride height - even if I changed the mounting location of the control arms??

And yeah'll post something once I get a camera. its been reaining hardcore here

Control arms won't do anything for height. It's all in the distance between the upper and lower spring pockets(frame and differential. The only way to decrease this measurement is to move the pocket in the frame up(not easily done) or move the pocket on the diff down(can't cause the axles in there, lol), you could possibly move the lower pocket to the front or rear of the axle tube but that could create problems. So that pretty much leaves you with swapping to shorter springs or cutting the existing ones.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
x2

85montemj

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2009
ZR2 Model S10's and Sonoma's have skid plates covering the engine and transmission and transfer case. Both are quite suttle (not a lot of bends) and are made of 1/8 in. aluminium (which won't spark if you scrape) and are pretty strong. I'm just thinking the engine and transmission are about the same size. They may not work but I thought it'd be worth suggesting.

othtim

Master Mechanic
Mar 23, 2010
Personally I love sparks. :D

Also, bagging it is not an option. What can I do to get the rear lower using a static drop? If I change the mounting location of the rear control arms, and get adjustable control arms, would that do it?

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
othtim said:
Also, bagging it is not an option. What can I do to get the rear lower using a static drop? If I change the mounting location of the rear control arms, and get adjustable control arms, would that do it?

No. Read my last post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor