Steering column repair questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bri guy

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2018
I did this job last year using the video below. To save you some time, it starts at 22:00.Good luck!

Made an edit to the time stamp. I originally thought you were referring to the ignition piece.

Thank you. Havent seen this video before

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I thought about doing that. I forget that dang shifting collar can move and wont let me start the car if it does.

the shifting collar is still attached to the rods when you have a floor mounted shifter. The floor shifter keep the transmission gear selector lever in place and the rods keep the column in place. The only reason you need to keep the rods in place is that if the column has to rotate so you can remove the key and lock the column.

Reactions: 2 users

Bri guy

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2018
the shifting collar is still attached to the rods when you have a floor mounted shifter. The floor shifter keep the transmission gear selector lever in place and the rods keep the column in place. The only reason you need to keep the rods in place is that if the column has to rotate so you can remove the key and lock the column.
Will any 80s gbody steering column fit directly in?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Yes but keep in mind the differences of certain years. As we all know '78 columns have the splined lower & the earlier method of ignition lock retention. The '79-'81 are the same as '82-'88 with the lock screw to retain the ignition lock but doesn't have the column wiper switch. The '82-'88 columns are the "fits all" ones as they can use either the wiper switch turn signal lever or the non-wiper switch lever.

Reactions: 1 users

Bri guy

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2018
Yes but keep in mind the differences of certain years. As we all know '78 columns have the splined lower & the earlier method of ignition lock retention. The '79-'81 are the same as '82-'88 with the lock screw to retain the ignition lock but doesn't have the column wiper switch. The '82-'88 columns are the "fits all" ones as they can use either the wiper switch turn signal lever or the non-wiper switch lever.
😳 ok. Only look for 82-88 columns. Thank you

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

it would but I have a chrysler model box so the splines are different....I got the box from one of the late model chassis we sold and up here those boxes are over $700 so I can't complain about the $100 I paid for the joint to make the Astro shaft fit the box.

Last edited:
  • Wow

Bri guy

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2018
Ok.i finally got the time to install the rebuild. I got the column taken apart. At the point to install the new bearings.....any ideas on how to press the bearings in?

Attachments

• 20200804_205824.jpg
    20200804_205824.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 146

Bri guy

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2018
Gonna use a c-clamp to press them in. But Which way does the bearing face when installing? Theres a small difference between the top/bottom of the bearing. The inner plastic that holds the bearings looks to stick out past the metal ring.

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
As i recall, they are just a snug fit. I never messed with these columns before, but my brother has bought 3 3rd gen Camaros in the past year and I tightened the tilt bolts on all three of them. Don't recall any issues with removing or installing bearings.

Tim

Bri guy

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2018
These bearing were shot. 1 bearing was missing everything, had to use a magnet to get pick the bearings out of the column. And the other was worn and sloppy.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor