Steering shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
So I've seen mention of Astro van, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee shafts being used.

Which is the best choice, and why?

It'd be great if someone could break down the years for each, seems like most posts are pretty general without really offering up the specifics. Also considering buying a new one, since I seldom make it to the yards anymore and I prefer to have some idea of miles, etc on used stuff I buy

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
The '93-95 Grand Cherokee shaft is the simplest swap as it needs no mods. Of these '95 is the best year because it has a rubber boot over the telescoping part.

The Astro Shafts may be in better shape, because the entire shaft is protected in a rubber boot in the Astro, but thes shafts need to have one end reclocked 90 degrees (cut and rewelded) before they can be bolted in. For applications where the headers are close to the shaft, the Astro shafts have a lower profile than the the GC shaft so a reclocked Astro shaft may fit where a GC shaft won't.

There may be a Cherokee shaft that works (I've looked at at least 30 and didn't find one that looked like it would work), but The GC shaft works better and there are just as many GC's in Junkyards as regular Cherokees.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I didn't have any luck finding a Grand Cherokee shaft that would fit. It sure sounded appealing though. I bought two different part number new shafts that were said to fit 93-95 Grand Cherokee and neither would fit. On both the opening on the column end was too small. One was too long. A part number would be awesome if anyone has one. Crown 52079050 will not fit. Neither will 52079050AB.

The 84-94 Cherokee shaft appears to be the popular unit. It is a bit long compared to the stock G body shaft. It has to be telescoped most of the way to fit. I bought a new one and it was difficult to work with. It did not want to freely telescope. I could get it to compress in my hydraulic press but it was near impossible to lengthen it. I ended up buying a used Cherokee shaft from Timo22. He has them cleaned up, painted and where they telescope freely.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Jared, the Mopar shaft you listed looks to be for late 95 and newer GCs.

The shaft listed by melloelky is for 95 Cherokee and early 96 GCs (late 95 build dates) and looks to be the replacement for the one Jared listed

I missed my chance at a free 93 Cherokee shaft because I let a guy at work haul the remains of my daughter's wrecked Cherokee to his house for the trans....told him I wanted the shaft and steering wheel back, city impounded it and his 94 because he had them on the grass in his backyard...for a year. I was pissed to say the least

I looked last time I was at the local yards, all the Cherokee shafts were gone. Didn't check out the GCs though

My concern with busting the plastic loose to allow them to telescope is that this will induce slop into the assembly...I have a shaft with 343000 miles in my F350, it's a little loose, but the Dorman unit is almost $400!

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
When you go to a Pick-n-pull junkyard, here is what you look for:
1993-1995_Jeep_Grand_Cherokee.jpg

1993-1995. Note the Flat Top Front Bumper.

You don't want the shaft from one of these:
800px-96-98_Jeep_Grand_Cherokee-bad.jpg

1996-1998. Note the larger grille and stepped front bumper.

You eventually should be able to spot good/bad ones from a 100 Feet away, especially since you don't want one that has been wrecked in front.

86MCLS

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2018
Bothell, WA
I went the Astro shaft route because of safety. The shafts are designed to telescope in when in a front end collision. I didn't want to install a fully telescoped in Jeep shaft just to have it become a spear and/or shove the steering wheel into my chest if I ever stuff the car in the front. I'd rather screw with reclocking the Astro shaft for the sake of safety.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I went the Astro shaft route because of safety. The shafts are designed to telescope in when in a front end collision. I didn't want to install a fully telescoped in Jeep shaft just to have it become a spear and/or shove the steering wheel into my chest if I ever stuff the car in the front. I'd rather screw with reclocking the Astro shaft for the sake of safety.

The Grand Cherokee shaft telescope almost as much as physically possible. I don't have a stock one handy, but a GC shaft should collapse down pretty close to the stock shaft's min length. Maybe not as much as an Astro shaft, but close. Astro drivers are at 3 ft closer to the bumper than we are and need that extra 2" of collapse. The Cherokees have a longer hood and use a longer shaft than the Grand Cherokees.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The Astro/Safari van modification takes less than 10 minutes and there is not need to weld them. Besides looking like new due to the rubber cocoon they live in the Astro/Safari RWD vans are more plentiful and much easier to find than the Jeep

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor