Stereo feedback when motor running

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
In the past, most of us who installed our own stereo system, used a noise suppressor filter that is connected inline from the power source to the radio.

View attachment 220814
So i installed this, and still have some crackling issues. All my wiring is neat and tidy. What are my next steps?

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
So i installed this, and still have some crackling issues. All my wiring is neat and tidy. What are my next steps?
Does it go up and down, with RPM or is it constantly happening?

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Does it go up and down, with RPM or is it constantly happening?
Rpm does seem to make it worse. I think its got a lack of volume too — stereo is louder with engine not running. The crackling is inconsistent enough that its hard to pin point, plus the car is loud. I dont believe it to be alternator whine, if that is where you were headed. It’s more like 1 bad plug wire. But everything is new and been checked multiple times. New distributor High RF plug wires and resistor plugs

Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Rpm does seem to make it worse. I think its got a lack of volume too — stereo is louder with engine not running. The crackling is inconsistent enough that its hard to pin point, plus the car is loud. I dont believe it to be alternator whine, if that is where you were headed. It’s more like 1 bad plug wire. But everything is new and been checked multiple times. New distributor High RF plug wires and resistor plugs
Stereo is louder with the engine not running?

Maybe it is a voltage drop of some kind, because with RPM it should get louder or stay the same, off or on.

What is your stereo? I am wondering if that might be the issue. Are you using the wire from the factory stereo for ground on the install- or did you use the metal from the vehicle?

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Stereo is louder with the engine not running?

Maybe it is a voltage drop of some kind

What is your stereo?
Yes it is louder, more powerful, with engine not running. I do not believe it is voltage drop, I have a volt meter and it stays at 14.

Stereo is a new Pioneer kit, single din head unit with bluetooth and no CD, and came with 4 - 6” speakers. I know they are lower quality but i have installed probably 10 of these with nothing but success every time.

Pioneer harness has two power wires, one constant and one for accessory. I am using factory power (key-on) and factory ground. I am thinking now maybe i should run my own ground. I ended up running the factory key-on wire to the pioneer harness constant and accessory spliced together to run the above suggested Pipemans noise filter unit, which just has a power in, power out, and ground (which i ran to body). Noise filter unit is installed between the power-in and the head unit, per instructions. I think it may have helped some but not all. I am using the factory fuse location on the fuse block for radio power.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Yes it is louder, more powerful, with engine not running. I do not believe it is voltage drop, I have a volt meter and it stays at 14.

Stereo is a new Pioneer kit, single din head unit with bluetooth and no CD, and came with 4 - 6” speakers. I know they are lower quality but i have installed probably 10 of these with nothing but success every time.

Pioneer harness has two power wires, one constant and one for accessory. I am using factory power (key-on) and factory ground. I am thinking now maybe i should run my own ground. I ended up running the factory key-on wire to the pioneer harness constant and accessory spliced together to run the above suggested Pipemans noise filter unit, which just has a power in, power out, and ground (which i ran to body). Noise filter unit is installed between the power-in and the head unit, per instructions. I think it may have helped some but not all. I am using the factory fuse location on the fuse block for radio power.
Indeed, I was right when I was reading your post.

Let me explain- the volume for Pioneer are maxed with the loudness setting so it stays the same, as well as SLA to match MP3, AM/FM and Compact Disc audio.

Also, I would use a bolt for your ground and test with a wire from battery to the stereo while it's running man 😤💪💪💪

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Indeed, I was right when I was reading your post.

Let me explain- the volume for Pioneer are maxed with the loudness setting so it stays the same, as well as SLA to match MP3, AM/FM and Compact Disc audio.

Also, I would use a bolt for your ground and test with a wire from battery to the stereo while it's running man 😤💪💪💪
Thanks for the help. I do not exactly know what you mean other than try running head unit ground direct to battery

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Thanks for the help. I do not exactly know what you mean other than try running head unit ground direct to battery
Run a 8 foot jumper wire, from the battery to the constant power and bypass the factory harness, start the car.

If it still happens, contact Pioneer about a blown PICO internal fuse, because if it's not a power or ground then that would be the only reason- unless there is alternator whine 💯💯

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Run a 8 foot jumper wire, from the battery to the constant power and bypass the factory harness, start the car.
Tried this. Also tried ground direct to battery. Also tried disconnecting antenna. Still doing the same thing.

Head unit is MVH-S320BT

Do you know if all pioneer harnesses are the same. I would like to to try a different head unit without rewiring the harness. Have several hours into this at this point.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Tried this. Also tried ground direct to battery. Also tried disconnecting antenna. Still doing the same thing.

Head unit is MVH-S320BT

Do you know if all pioneer harnesses are the same. I would like to to try a different head unit without rewiring the harness. Have several hours into this at this point.
Yes most Pioneer radio's from the mid 00's I think use the same connector.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor