Stereo feedback when motor running

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Yes most Pioneer radio's from the mid 00's I think use the same connector.
Thanks. Question for you. First things first. This does not sound to me like alternator whine. However. I removed my belt for an unrelated issue and now I am having trouble noticing if it is crackling or not. I mean it is crackling a little bit but the car is loud and the speakers are cheap and so on and so forth.

So would removing the belt isolate an alternator issue by any chance?

Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Thanks. Question for you. First things first. This does not sound to me like alternator whine. However. I removed my belt for an unrelated issue and now I am having trouble noticing if it is crackling or not. I mean it is crackling a little bit but the car is loud and the speakers are cheap and so on and so forth.

So would removing the belt isolate an alternator issue by any chance?
It could mean there is a problem with the pulley, or motor bearings in the alternator.

Because if the alternator is not spinning, it won't generate current if it is a whine.

That's all I can say haha 😜💪💪💪

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
It could mean there is a problem with the pulley, or motor bearings in the alternator.

Because if the alternator is not spinning, it won't generate current if it is a whine.

That's all I can say haha 😜💪💪💪
I received my new used head unit and it has the same problem. I realized my driver side speaker wires are routed under the dash grouped up with my tach signal wire and other gauge wires. I cut the wire ties to get the speaker wires away from these other wires and it seems to have fixed 99% of the problem.

Does this make sense / is it possible? Before i tear my whole interior apart to route two speaker wires down the passenger side

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Is there filter on the tach wire?
Filter ? Dont think so. I installed the tach. It goes direct to my Hei distribitor

Edit. No there is not a filter. Isnt the filter supposed to filter the tach signal? As in it will have no effect on the radio ?

Last edited:

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
I received my new used head unit and it has the same problem. I realized my driver side speaker wires are routed under the dash grouped up with my tach signal wire and other gauge wires. I cut the wire ties to get the speaker wires away from these other wires and it seems to have fixed 99% of the problem.

Does this make sense / is it possible? Before i tear my whole interior apart to route two speaker wires down the passenger side
That's why I asked, you to run the stereo directly to battery earlier. Yes it was some feedback, and sh|t like that you would have to use a frequency analyzer to determine the spectrum on the hz, which produce the signal.

It's the same thing, car audio guys have had to deal with when it came to installing subwoofer, and amps.

You would run the RCA cables, from the head unit in the dash, and the power cable right next to each other, and there would be an extremely low sine wave, which is interference that isn't good either 🙄😂😂😂

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
That's why I asked, you to run the stereo directly to battery earlier. Yes it was some feedback, and sh|t like that you would have to use a frequency analyzer to determine the spectrum on the hz, which produce the signal.
Yes i did run direct to battery which yielded same results. I rerouted my driver side speaker wires away from the believed interference and the problem has slightly improved although is still there. Definitely cracks on the bass notes and its worse with higher rpm. What else can i do?
By the way its not the tach. I disconnected it. Same problem.

Last edited:

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
I have checked all my grounds and even tried different locations. Radio ground goes direct to body. I have new plugs and wires coming tonight (current wires are 500 ohm which i thought would be sufficent)

I am a bit confused - I was leaning towards the coil being the culprit but would RF not only be heard on the radio ?? I hear it thru bluetooth as well.

When engine is not running everything is fine. I did not think it was the alternator as I thought that would be a whine. I am having crackling or static that gets worse with rpm.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Think i got it guys. Went with custom cut moroso blue max wires and delco plugs gapped at .45

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor