Stereo? What do y'all have??

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
right now I've got two 12" Eclipse Titaniums with an 1800 watt sony xplode amp (yeah the octogon one...I know laugh). A Kenwood Excelon head unit running 3.5" JL's in my dash. A big MTX 4 channel running two sets of Clairon Pro Audio 5 1/4 components. One set in Q Forms kick panels and the other are in my rear side panels. 4 gauge stinger wireing, 120 amp circut braker and 2 2 fared caps. With a Viper alarm. It actually sounds good enough that I've got two extra sets of taillights because they (my subs) keep breaking mounting tabs. And my rear wall where the latch bolts to is tearing so my latch doesn't quite tighten up anymore, in other words my trunk has about 3/4 of an inch of play right now. Oh yeah and no more rear seat back, it just kinda lays down most of the time. I just picked up an 18" Kicker Solo X. After I figure out where to get 10,000 watts I'll let you know what it does to my car :twisted:

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I have the stock radio from my 2000 Grand Prix, which fits perfect, and for some reason keeps the radio stations saved long after the battery is disconnected! The stock speakers are still in great shape somehow, so I will stay with them for awhile. Im not tryin to put any money into the stereo untill after I get it to be driveable!!

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
midwestls said:
right now I've got two 12" Eclipse Titaniums with an 1800 watt sony xplode amp (yeah the octogon one...I know laugh). A Kenwood Excelon head unit running 3.5" JL's in my dash. A big MTX 4 channel running two sets of Clairon Pro Audio 5 1/4 components. One set in Q Forms kick panels and the other are in my rear side panels. 4 gauge stinger wireing, 120 amp circut braker and 2 2 fared caps. With a Viper alarm. It actually sounds good enough that I've got two extra sets of taillights because they (my subs) keep breaking mounting tabs. And my rear wall where the latch bolts to is tearing so my latch doesn't quite tighten up anymore, in other words my trunk has about 3/4 of an inch of play right now. Oh yeah and no more rear seat back, it just kinda lays down most of the time. I just picked up an 18" Kicker Solo X. After I figure out where to get 10,000 watts I'll let you know what it does to my car :twisted:

Are you running an auxillary battery for the four channel and subs? Do you have any pics?

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
No, no aux battery right now. Just the capacitors and they seem to be doing a pretty good job, I maintain about 11.5-12 volts with everything turned up, lights and ac on. Sorry I don't have any pics right now, last week my car p-s-ed me off and the camera ended up getting fastballed into a wall. Don't ask me how I didn't even think it was in the garage. My buddy has an Ohio Generator in his 85 Grand Prix with a Kicker SX1250.1 and 3 12" Kicker L5's and his will hold 12.5 all day.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
I used to have a 1200 watt 2 channel and a 600 watt 2 channel with a rockford fosgate cap, but I still had problems even with a new high power alternator. Oh well, it was traded for a dual exhaust on my truck so it was put to good use.

If you have pics of a system with an auxillary battery, that would be a good how-to thread.

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
I collect and repair old Delco ETR radios that were stock to the G body (and other) cars of their time. They sound decent through good quality modern speakers. Of course I'm an old foagy, but I just don't understand the thrill of listening to a distorted bass beat amplified with 10,000 watts and some rapper trying to jabber his repressed jibberish through it. The kids at Gannon University say I need to "feel" it. To me subwoofers feel like a muffler trying to fall off :eek:

-UT-

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
I'm not a big fan of subs really, but a simple 400-600 watt four channel amp hooked up to four speakers does clarify the system like you wouldn't believe, whether it's loud or soft.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
Battery Isolators/Regulators
A battery isolator is an essential pice of equipment when designing a multi-battery system. In an unisolated multi-battery system, the battery with less of a charge, (usually the one driving your system), will draw juice out of the battery with more of a charge, (usually your starting battery). Since starting batteries are not designed to be deeply discharged and recharged you'll end up destroying it pretty quickly, and batteries aren't exactly cheap.

The isolator works like a one-way valve that allows the charging current from your alternator to charge both batteries while keeping one battery from discharginf the other. So unless you like buying new batteries regularly, an isolator is a no-brainer.

To make a long story short, this is what you'll need to run another battery. There are quite a few different manufactures that make them, singer, lightning audio, street wires ect... Sorry no pic's for ya, don't have any extra battreys in my car right now.

Represent316

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 8, 2008
Uncletruck said:
I collect and repair old Delco ETR radios that were stock to the G body (and other) cars of their time. They sound decent through good quality modern speakers. Of course I'm an old foagy, but I just don't understand the thrill of listening to a distorted bass beat amplified with 10,000 watts and some rapper trying to jabber his repressed jibberish through it. The kids at Gannon University say I need to "feel" it. To me subwoofers feel like a muffler trying to fall off :eek:

-UT-

Kinda like going to the theater, instead of staying home watching movies on a 54" plasma.

Id rather Hear / Feel whats going on in THX, Then threw a set of built in TV speaker's.

Why dont they use 6x9's at a concert?

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I hated my old Delco radio that came in my Cutlass. Too few presets, too much noise and too little power. Plus, who owns cassettes anymore? Then again, I am a bit of an audiophile and even put systems in my beaters. My pickup has a nice JVC CD player, 2 10's and a 250 watt amp, 2 Cerwin Vega coaxials and the stock tweeters in the doors. I even have my iPod hooked in to the CD player plug so that it charges while it is in the car. It's much better than any CD changer could ever be since it has the ability to hold so much data. I have about 20-30 CD's on it, and I never have to ruin another CD by leaving it in the car. That's just the beater. My Olds is getting 975 watts, with components from Alpine, Orion, Pioneer and MbQuart. In all, I own 3 sets of subs, 5 amps, and 5 CD players--but only 3 cars, one of which does not run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor