Stock cars vs modified

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
I think tasteful mods like rims, exhaust, suspension and engine upgrades on most Gbody's will not only increase the value of the car but just make the whole driving experience that much more enjoyable.

More enjoyable driving experience most likely but increasing the value depends greatly on what was done and who did the work. Way too many butchers out there who cant even do a simple engine swap without f@#%ing stuff up. These abortions are usually the cars you see for sale all the time when the owner decides to finally abandon their basket case. Quality car guys are a rare breed. I know some personally and I know some of the 'other' type....

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I would echo the sentiment of a few on here that say "Do what you like, and screw the yahoo's with their advice or comments". It's your car, enjoy it your way.

It's a sweet ride from the pics I've seen. You could always do the reversible mods if you get the itch (wheels, drive train etc.)

As long as it's not some jewel in a sealed garage that never gets driven (I hate that), and it puts a smile on your face, it's all good.

Hutch

Reactions: 1 users

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
It depends on what you wanted to do with the car. I modified my 1981 El Camino for handling and power ,As well as to haul stuff as well.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If it's reverse-able, mods are no issue to me at all for my personal stuff. Cutting a car or not, and modding it or not, to what you want your car to be is a choice. It's like anything else, some decisions you can't go back once you go. Some you can. Either way, your name on the title and you're name is on the check, you get to choose.

I still will argue it's overall tougher to restore something to factory fresh than it is to modify one. Either way it's a ton of work. But with a factory stock resto, you're boxed in with limitations of your canvas and "have to's" when restoring to factory stock. With aftermarket, you can change your mind or opt to do something wild if you want or change a vendor in the middle of something. Sky's the limit. But if you're restoring a 79 Hurst/Olds and want to do it as close to factory as possible? You MUST use the gold/black "H/O" emblems. Anything else and you can't do it correctly. Although apparently there were some white slashed emblems out there...but not factory. And then the real issue comes with FINDING the correct parts, not the "almost correct" parts, let alone NOS ones. Another example- many factory A-arms were dip painted with the ball joint ends of them left bare. Most people give up and paint everything black. Or, you love that blue color that the new Challenger has and want to paint your car that color? Nope- factory fresh means your choice of colors comes off the SPID or body plate stuck to your car. Another thing that you have to do as well is when the NOS replacement part actually looks different than the original part or has a superseded part number for the original part, you'll have to document that to show to any judge to show it is the correct part number or supersession, yet the appearance looks a little different (The last available 307 oil dipsticks, for one. Same p/n as the round head handle, but it's a yellow T-handle. Luckily I have a factory correct round headed NOS one.)

Even in restoration, I have no real issues with a structural or cosmetic upgrade that looks stock but fixes factory "fugg ups" when done. Or having to paint something to look plated, because you can't afford to actually plate a piece economically because you're not plating 50,000 units for $0.20 each. Or, like fixing underhood corner braces that have no drain holes. For example, drill a small hole in the corner that's barely visible, 99% of the time a judge wouldn't even know that it wasn't supposed to be there. Plus you get the benefit of no more rust because water won't build up and sit. Or add a bushing or something where there wasn't one, and it ends up hidden. If it makes you happier, do it.

Rktpwrd 's car is a great example. His car is going to have the "stock-ish" like external appearance, but with many upgrades to paint and bodywork and some structural upgrades as well that makes him happy. It's a nice balance of a build that everyone seems to relate to in some ways if not most ways. It's going to be an extremely nice example of a car being restored with quality in mind, even though it has personal touches that aren't stock, but could or should have been. He's fixing the factory shortcomings as he goes, like that stupid sunroof contraption and leveling those fender fiber optic lamp monitor housings. Same could be said with Injectedcutty 's and oldsofb 's. And many others' cars here. Amazing work.

I'm going to attempt a factory-ish restoration with my 85 442. It's taken me over 30 years of research and amassing most of the parts. The goal is to be stock again, as close as I can get to rolling off the end of the assembly line again (except fixing their mistakes). I probably won't be able to get it exact, but I'm going to shoot for that goal. But it will be stock. I like it that way. I have other cars for power. Olds built this car for me because I asked them to. And I'm going to try and keep it that way.

Reactions: 4 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I live in NYC where anything fancy gets stolen. So I like plain-jane cars even to the point of being fugly. Any changes I make are always improvements and no one needs to know what is really under there. wink-wink-nod-nod

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I live in NYC where anything fancy gets stolen. So I like plain-jane cars even to the point of being fugly. Any changes I make are always improvements and no one needs to know what is really under there. wink-wink-nod-nod
Sleepers are some of the most fun cars, too. But there comes a point where you can't hide it any longer when you're kicking up dust from the turndown exhausts and rumbling so much you are shaking windows of the car next to you at a stoplight.

Reactions: 2 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
being the owner of 2 factory 5 speed cutlass' i understand your dilemma.
i love driving my salon, but have made a couple of day2 modes; 15" rally wheels, bigger front sway bar, rear sway bar and an iroc steering box. the only other change i would make would be to switch to a t5 trans and steeper gears, but only if i can keep the original shifter position. i love that its butt *ss slow, yet able to keep up with most traffic. i don't win many races but i sure do get the looks when i try. and i know I'm going to be the only aeroback at a car show.

the calais is a different story, separated by 70k miles, the engine needs work, and trans pops out gear on decel. i bought this car with the sole intention of modifying the driveline and brakes towards a pro-tour 1.5, with body work changes of vinyl top removal and a carmine red/white two tone paint in 79 H/O fashion. I'm making it into my tribute car to the calais i had when i was dating my wife 31 years ago.

enjoy YOUR car in the fashion YOU want. don't let others pigeon hole you into something your not.

Jorge1958

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2019
Columbia City Oregon
I have left my MCSS as stock as possible. I like the originality. Its a fun car to drive just the way it is. Will never modify her. And it has won serveral awards at our local car shows. Most of the people at the shows love the way it looks.

Attachments

• IMG_3571.jpg
    IMG_3571.jpg
    742.7 KB · Views: 109

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Gbodys are not pulling the kind of money to worry about doing what you want with them UNLESS they are one of the specialty cars ( GN, 442, Monte ss, 2+2, ect) and even it's your car - as people have said enjoy it !! There was no negatives when I turned the Sonoma into a race truck

new camera 269.JPG

wagon.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
^^^ That Cutlass looks so BADASS being tubbed.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor