Stock cars vs modified

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Swap a 4.2 inline 6 from one of those trailblazers. Some originality in both directions.
Lol, no thanks.

I like the sound of the engine, the complete and utter lack of electronics and wiring, and the "it keeps running even if things are breaking on it" aspect.

Only engine swap I'd ever consider is a 292 inline... but it just doesn't seem worth the effort.

I have thought about adding an overdrive transmission though like an 84-86 full size truck 700r4 to keep the no computer aspect intact.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I like 'em mostly stock appearing (except wheels), but with improved performance. I do like "tasteful" exterior mods (see "hooniwagan" Hurst rendering).

Absolute biggest turn-off for me is late model wrong color seats that don't even match the rear seat. I like my office orderly

• Agree
Reactions: 7 users

dfast1

Apprentice
Sep 24, 2018
Anybody can restore them. It takes a real man to cut them.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
My thought is, it's your car. Do whatever you want. but, if you have even an inkling of "I might have to sell this some day" that's when you make your decision. Should I modify (sometimes irreversably) this pretty rare, but not super desireable car, or should I just keep it running for the next guy/simplicity's sake? It's a lot easier and cheaper to just keep a car as is if it works vs a whole drivetrain swap. :p

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
And for abut the past... 10 years, there has been a resurgence in massively overpowered V8s in muscle cars. Sure, it's cool I guess you can spend $70k+ to buy a car that will pull the front wheels off the ground, factory warranty, air conditioning, airbags and all, but who is gonna use that day to day? I suppose people also said that back in the 60s when the street hemi came out. "What?! 425 horsepower? Who needs that much? My 225 /6 does just fine!"

G bodies are the last of GM cars that had any soul to them. It just feels different driving them, even from older 70s cars and later 90s cars. If you were starting with a roller with nothing, I'd say go for it. But since it's all original super low miles, AND it's a stick, I don't blame you one bit for keeping it the way it is.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
I drooled over a Grand National in high school when they were new. I swore to some day own one. Now that I have more than enough funds to buy a no-mile example the desire is long gone. I do like seeing them out on the road, it just almost never happens. I’m just glad I’m not the 40 year old guy that paid $17K for one in 1987, then didn’t enjoy it for 30 years hoping it would increase in value as he only drove it 9000 miles after dreaming of owning the car for years, only to find out 30 years later that it’s only worth $30K. The were many different ways to make $13K in profit in the past 30 years that didn’t waste garage space. Pitiful really. Up until 10 years ago I always swore to buy somebody’s low mileage pride and joy and as I left their driveway proceed to obliterate the tires leaving them a black mark reminder of the fun that they didn’t have. I’m a jerk like that though.

I guess my original post should have read “stock sucks, unless you actually drive it”.......... Maybe..........

Reactions: 1 user

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
There are always reversible "Day Two" mods so down the road it can go back to or near original. But most A/G's by this time have had some sort of change/abuse done to them so does it really matter just as long as you enjoy it they way you want it.

4.jpg

048.JPG

YOK2460 (2).jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I think tasteful mods like rims, exhaust, suspension and engine upgrades on most Gbody's will not only increase the value of the car but just make the whole driving experience that much more enjoyable.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor