Stock ls2, higher stall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patobusta

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 2, 2017
My 4l65e died some months ago, and after debating over going 4l80 and covid and stuff, I ended up rebuilding my original 4l65.

Now the thing is I got the transmission rebuilt, but didn’t touch the converter, and realize it should be full of nasty things from the old transmission internals.
I have a few options:

a) install as is, with the oem converter
b) install a new GM92 stock stall "ebay special" converter
c) install a new monster transmission 2300-2500 stall converter
d) sent my oem converter to be rebuilt

I know the theory, as my motor is 100% stock, there shouldn’t be any gains from adding more stall, but in real life.. how does it work?
Are those original spec’d gm special converters a bad idea?

Also related.. how do I clean my trans cooler before putting the new transmission?

Thanks a lot!

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I have no experience with stall converters so I'll stay out of that.

However, your trans lines and cooler need to be cleaned. They sell aerosol can you can hook to a line and flush it out. You can simply use a funnel and some hose and run fresh fluid thru it. I've even seen people use kerosene. But.... you MUST not only clean them, but get whatever chemical you use out of them afterwards. This is all predicated on the fact that you're using a normal tube and fin style cooler. If you're using a plate style, they can NOT be cleaned and MUST be replaced.

And don't reuse your old converter without at least having it cleaned.

Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I've been told a good quality converter will make even a stock setup faster.

A monster converter is NOT a quality part. There are years of horror stories of Monster trans parts causing issues. PTC, Circle D, Hughes, are all good options.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 5 users

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
I wouldn't worry about the high stall converter as much as a heavy duty converter. No plastic thrust washers, fins fully brazed to the housing things like that.

On flushing the cooler you need a gallon jug a piece of rubber hose a equine oral syringe and an air nozzle with a rubber tip.

Place the hose on one cooler line and insert it into the gallon jug. Blow air through the other line (set regulator at 30PSI) for about a minute. Usually I use a can of brake cleaner ( You can use many solvents for this use the dosing syringe if your solvent is not in an aerosol can) blow half of it through the line plug line with your thumb so solvent doesn't run back out, blow with compressed air for one minute.

Put rubber hose on other line and repeat procedure reversing the flow.

Use the syringe to fill line with isopropyl alcohol use same procedure, Put hose on other line and reverse direction. When done blow air through lines for two minutes each direction and let it set open for a couple hours to make sure alcohol evaporates fully.

dosing syring.jpg
Air nozzle.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Another option on cleaning the transmission cooler and lines. This is what I used.....

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
If it is a truck application it is probably a very low stall. My 94 Z71 4L60E stalled at 1500 rpm.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
My 4l65e died some months ago, and after debating over going 4l80 and covid and stuff, I ended up rebuilding my original 4l65.

Now the thing is I got the transmission rebuilt, but didn’t touch the converter, and realize it should be full of nasty things from the old transmission internals.
I have a few options:

a) install as is, with the oem converter
b) install a new GM92 stock stall "ebay special" converter
c) install a new monster transmission 2300-2500 stall converter
d) sent my oem converter to be rebuilt

I know the theory, as my motor is 100% stock, there shouldn’t be any gains from adding more stall, but in real life.. how does it work?
Are those original spec’d gm special converters a bad idea?

Also related.. how do I clean my trans cooler before putting the new transmission?

Thanks a lot!
What did the LS2 come out of? I've personally toured Circle D's facility. It's impressive. Great people. I've had a Circle D converter in my truck for the last 114k miles. I'm a big fan.

Reactions: 3 users

Patobusta

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 2, 2017
Thought i had put that info in.. its a gto ls2+4l65e.

Also its bone stock and the car is not regularly used, and never raced.. just cruised and run a few lights for the fun of it.

Thanks for all the cleaning tips, given the detail and alternatives mentioned, it seems is a step you shouldn't forget..

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I don't know what the stock stall speed would be. You didn't mention the year but perhaps if the Vette had the LS2 and 4L65E that year it might be slightly higher?

I would recommend a new converter. Don't forget, if has the lockup clutch in it. I don't think you'd regret buying a quality, mild performance converter from someone like Circle D or FTi unless if you were in love with what it was, in which case just go back with a new, quality replacement.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Get a new converter, doubt that a factory converter is a 2500 or more stall. I personally would not consider any less in a truck with a LS, let alone a fun cruiser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor