BUILD THREAD Street/Strip Cutlass Build: Race it, break it, fix it, repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Re: Budget Cutlass Build Thread, Making Progress.

BuWaGone said:
Sounds like like you're back on track. Personally I wouldn't go much more than 9.5:1 on a iron headed street engine on pump gas. Glad to see you're goingtiming chain and doing away with the gear drive. Those gauges look like a tight fit. Not sure if you still have A/C but I put my water, volt and oil pressure gauges in a panel than went in place of the center vents. On another Cutlass I bought one of the bracket they sell and bolted it in place of the ashtray.

Lookin good though, wish I cou;d make your kinda progress in my Malibu wagon.

edit* just looked back in the thread and saw the A/C

Thanks man. I'm really determined to fit those gauges in there, but I guess if they don't got I'll have to get creative with some fiberglass 8)

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina

Super news lately guys. The heads I currently have need a little more work then we previously thought, so we were in the hunt for a better set of heads on the cheap. My dad ended up scoring a set of vortec heads from work, so now I just need to get an intake, and have the heads machined for screw in guides. They have 64 cc chambers and 1.94/1.50's, so that bumps the compression ratio up to 10.61:1, right where I want it. So now it just looks like a re-ring kit and an intake. And much more get up and go! :twisted: :twisted: Depending on if these heads are good to go, I may have an intake for sale. Also have some other parts for sale, check out the thread: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=48095#.UlSpZtKsh8E

Anways, here are some pics of the heads.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina

Made a lot of progress within the last week. My re-ring kit came in, and the pistons and cleaned and ready for new rings. Just have to tap the head bolt holes out.

null_zpsbc8f9779.jpg

Pistons are in fact TRW's with a 2.4cc dome, they are a little rough, but you gotta work with what you have.

null_zps497aad3c.jpg

With the Vortec heads, that'll bump static compression up to 10.7:1.
Also got one of my wheels finished up, I'm real happy with it.

null_zps96474525.jpg

null_zpsb83530e7.jpg

Got one of my valve covers almost finished up with satin paint this time instead of crinkle. Just have to add the gold pinstripe tape. These might be up for sale shortly as well.

null_zps632649a3.jpg

Also got the garage somewhat organized.

null_zps84f3deb1.jpg

Just have to get the bottom end finished up, get my new valve covers ordered and get my accessories painted satin black.

BuWaGone

Greasemonkey
Aug 11, 2013
Oahu, Hawaii

10.7:1 on a iron headed pump gas engine is high, if you had aluminum heads you could get away with that high of a compression ratio.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina

BuWaGone said:
10.7:1 on a iron headed pump gas engine is high, if you had aluminum heads you could get away with that high of a compression ratio.

Yeah I knew I was gonna get that answer. I have heard of some success stories with that compression on all iron sbc's so I think we are just gonna go for it. It'll just have to be tuned perfect, and upgrade the cooling system before summer.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina

Kwik_Cutty88 said:
BuWaGone said:

Yeah I knew I was gonna get that answer. I have heard of some success stories with that compression on all iron sbc's so I think we are just gonna go for it. It'll just have to be tuned perfect, and upgrade the cooling system before summer. I've also been doing some reading with this and some people have said you can get away with a little higher SCR with a big duration cam. Mine is 283/303.

BuWaGone

Greasemonkey
Aug 11, 2013
Oahu, Hawaii

yeah, a big cam with lots of duration and overlap will help bleed of cylinder pressure at cruising speed. looks like your next big purchase is gonna be a 2800-3000 stall convertor and some gears.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio

My neighbor is running 10.8:1 with an iron headed big block with no problems. Mine will be about 10.4:1 with iron heads as well.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina

I've been making some significant progress, just haven't been taking a ton of pics (i know, i know :oops:). Anyways, Ive been collecting parts, and the bottom end is all finished up. Under hood is all put back together just waiting for the motor to go back in. Also got my new gauges in, which I'm really happy with. Here are some pics.

Here is how the gauge panel worked out. It was a tight squeeze, but its nice. I've never seen it done before, while retaining the factory speedo.

My new intake, Edelbrock Performer EPS, I'm really happy with the way it looks. Planning on doing a mild gasket match.

Also got the heads back from the machine shop. Machined for screw in studs, valve and spring guides cut down. Also milled down a little bit, and a valve job. We are planning to do a mild gasket match on the intake and exhuast side.

Decided to get some new pistons as well. They will bring compression to around 10.5:1, maybe a little more with the heads milled down.

New tall centerbolt polished aluminum valve covers, hope they clear my rockers.

Also got some various odds and ends, break in oil, gaskets, etc. Still need to get a cam button, intake gaskets, and engine paint. Then we can put the heads on and it will be ready to go!

EDIT: Also forgot to ask...have any of you guys dropped the motor and trans in as a combo with the hood still on? We have always put the motor in, then put the trans in from the bottom.

Intragration

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2012
Chicago

Kwik_Cutty88 said:
Also forgot to ask...have any of you guys dropped the motor and trans in as a combo with the hood still on? We have always put the motor in, then put the trans in from the bottom.

Cool build, I just read it start to finish. I always do engine and trans together, but I always take the hood off. This seems easier to me. It only takes five minutes, and it's not hard to get it re-aligned. I imagine it would be pretty difficult to do the combo with the hood on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor