BUILD THREAD Street/Strip Cutlass Build: Race it, break it, fix it, repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Re: Budget Cutlass Build-Bad, Bad Day.

I don't know what to call it. The car in front of the jeep I was following stopped quickly to make a left turn, maybe that will put it in different terms. The driver of the jeep told me she barley stopped in time to put it in perspective how quick the first car stopped. I kept a good distance but locked up the brakes and skidded Into the back of the jeep.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.

What a terrible situation. Just thank God for this experience. Ever since I crashed in a Navigator about your age I have forever been so paranoid to trust other motorists judgement that I have never been in a serious crash like that again. Once you've felt this pain of looking at the car crumpled, and know the pain of the impact itself, you will forever be a better driver. It takes a crash to be scared of crashing. So learn from this experience and you will be a better man overall!

Skip the euro clip and your rebuild costs should be much cheaper overall. It's easier to find a regular front clip anyday. I like the euro clip on my 88 but the oldschool clip is easier to put bulbs in anyway. If I ever crash the euro clip is going straight in the trash. It will hurt to see it sitting in there but w/e life goes on > I bet you can get a new hood and front clip for under $250 if you shop around. Hopefully the other body panels can just be pounded out so you can keep materials cost under a thousand hopefully... of course paint will be expensive but at least it's black and not tropicana orange or baby blue or something like that lol. I think you can put it back together if you make some minor concessions to save money at certain points of the re-build. Like some people would try to re-chrome that front bumper and pound it out for example - but that's stupid. Just buy a 'new' to you used one or if you pound it out paint it black instead of chroming it. Little decisions like that will save you hundreds overall fixing this tragedy...

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio

That sucks but doesnt look bad at all. Besides the body panels I can only imagine the headlight assemblies and radiator support being damaged. Its about time to park them for winter anyway so take a few weeks away from it and then start looking for parts.

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC

There is a 1988 Cutlass that just came in to Bevels Pull it in Goldsboro. I have not seen it but their prices are usually great.
http://bevellspiy.com/

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ

easy fix & lesson learned. Looks like the fenders and bumper are fine. Just need a header panel + hood.

Stock brakes on these cars suck period !! Too small and prone to lockup, Once locked you tend to slide ( like on ice ) into whatever you are looking at with the tires screeching all the way.

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA

Looks like an easy fix. Believe me I know just how bad it sucks, I had a similar situation in my 1980 Cutlass at about the same age in 1994. I paid a guy $125 for a front clip, spray bombed it white to match, applied some new pin stripes and went on with life. You seem to know your way around cars so you should be more than capable of fixing it. Just think of it as an expensive learning experience.

BuWaGone

Greasemonkey
Aug 11, 2013
Oahu, Hawaii

fix it, all I see on my work computer for pics is red "x"s but sounds like minor damage. I rear ended a lady once and eventhough we were only going about 10-15mph I had to replace both fenders and complete euro header but my Glasstek hood popped back intpo shape just fine.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina

I got most of the front end stripped down. And it looks like the core support is bent. The drivers side fender looks like it can be straightened back out, but I was able to grab the outer skin for the passenger side becuase it had a crease from the previous owner. So right now I'm looking for a cowl hood and front bumper. I got new bumper shocks as well. I also got a new core supprt. One of the body mount areas has some minor rot, so once I get the old one out, I'll use it Bascially as a patch panel. Anyway, I want to get the two body mounts under the core support ordered so I have them when I'm ready to put the new core support in. Can I use poly on just those two? Or will it bring the front clip up so high so the doors won't line up?

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Also forgot to add I picked up a bumper cover, right headlight bezel, and header panel from Member LAX Rated. Looks like both the headlights were good, I just need the adjuster assembly for the drivers side. I also need a drivers side grill. Here is where I'm at with the car currently.

Also mounted a 5" Autometer in the location where I had my old one. I think it looks killer

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor