Stretched-Channeled-Dropped-32 Valve-Lost Cause

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Since I referenced this at the end of the '36 pickup thread I thought I'd take a couple minutes to give some additional details. The whole thing started as a way to use up spare parts from wrecked cars. It's a combination of the following: My first car, a '35 Ford pickup which was wrecked in 1999. A '35/'36 sedan that I bought just to use the frame when I fix my pickup. And finally, a '93 Lincoln Mark VIII that I drove through a power pole while "exploring the handling limits" of some Yokahamas I bought off craigslist. The posts below are mainly cut-and-paste from another forum I used to frequent.
DSC00093.jpg

DSC00109.jpg

001-2.jpg

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
12/6/08
Weather has been nice the last few weekends so little progress has been made. Got the frame from my wrecked 1935 pickup inside and salvaged the pieces I need for the sedan. Will be using the front and rear crossmembers, rear axle and suspension, and the exhaust system. The frame, itself, is F'ed.
003-3.jpg

017.jpg

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
2/27/09
Progress has been slow but is picking up. Had to take the frame to my brother's shop and have him pull it out in the frame rack. First had to split the body from the frame.
001-4.jpg

The body now hangs by rope from the TGIs in my shop.
015-2.jpg

Then I had to repair several damaged spots.
004-3.jpg

009-1.jpg

014-3.jpg

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
2/29/09
The next step was to modify the front suspension. The first photo shows the damaged front end from my pickup. I forgot to get a shot of the sedan suspension but the design is identical. I actually used pieces from both to make one.
010-2.jpg

First step is to split the wishbone.
010-1.jpg

Then I smoothed the axle and primed it.
011-1.jpg

012-1.jpg

I then heated my radius rods and bent them into the frame for more tire clearance on turns.
013.jpg

014-2.jpg

015-1.jpg

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Mocked up to check some of the "real estate issues" I picked up a rack and some torsion bar assemblies. The radiator is just from the scrap pile. Probably gonna use Corvette unit turned on it's side. What do you guys think of the wheels? Saved them from my Rambler.
016-1.jpg

017-1.jpg

Also got my brake kit, wiring harness and friction shocks.
002-1.jpg

018.jpg

020.jpg

Also a view of the rearend from the pickup and the replaced rear crossmember.
008-1.jpg

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
4/10/09
Kingpins are installed and fit. Brake kit is test fit.
0012.jpg

Wishbone ends are cut, welded and mounted. I drilled 3 mount points so I could adjust caster a little (or at least look that way). I am not a great welder.
001-6.jpg

Cut out original X member and welded in replacement rails from my cut up pickup frame. Then added bracing and mocked up transmission mount and rear radius mount. Still need to fab and weld in webbing for torsional strength.
001-5.jpg

003-6.jpg

008-2.jpg

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
4/12/09
Mocked up engine and trans in the frame and stripped excess wires and accessories. Can barely see the driveline is in. I was able to reuse the one from my pickup using a conversion joint to mate to the Lincoln yoke.
005-3.jpg

004-4.jpg

I keep going back and forth on the front suspension. I have the stock transverse leaf springs that can be located forward of the steering rack (stock style and been done millions of times--literally). I also have torsion bars from a Toyota pickup that could be located along the frame rails (unique but more complex). Or, I could buy some coilover shocks to locate at the front of the frame that would be very prominent (bulky and expensive). Suggestions or input?

My swap meet find was this $80 Be Cool radiator. Pusher fan was salvaged from a buddy's LandCruiser.
009-2.jpg

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
:shock: :shock: :shock: wow super clean!...its going to be bad *ss!!!

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
5/?/09
I debated for a while about how to suspend the axle and finally decided on a hidden torsion system. The components are Toyota pieces. I started by partially boxing the front rails. I then passed the bars inside the box.
0032.jpg

I opened a window at the front or the rail for the lever to pass through.
0042.jpg

Then I fabbed some extensions with multiple holes to both vary the leverage (effective spring rate) and serve as a mount for the front bearing.
001-22.jpg

002-16.jpg

My "link" will be chain because hot rods are supposed to be dangerous. This is only temporary :lol: .
001-23.jpg

The ride-height adjustment will be accessible from inside. Yes, there will be more bracing added.
002-17.jpg

A shot of my super fancy cross member and motor mounts.
003-20.jpg

A couple full-frame views:
003-21.jpg

004-12.jpg

It's now a good 6" lower than stock in the rear and about 8" in the front. Once the engine is in and the body is mounted I will adjust the ride-height so that the front cross member "hides" behind the axle. I am considering a sliding wishbone (think Cup-car) to locate it laterally.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
6/29/10
This is how it has sat for almost a year.
008-3.jpg

Here's how my trip to the DMV went: After spending 30 minutes biting my tongue with the most arrogant waste-of-skin I've ever encountered, the paperwork has been "submitted for review". In a nutshell: I bought it at auction with full documentation except the auction company could not locate the VIN so they left those boxes empty. They did make notes about it and included state police referral paperwork. I found it under a layer of rust, completed the paperwork and even towed it to the DMV to be verified. It should have been very simple. Not surprisingly they even charged me the late fee for being past the 30 of sale. I bought it in '04 and it obviously hasn't been on the road for several decades. I've had that fee waived several times before but gladly paid it anyway. After calling his supervisor over just to complain about the lighting in his corner and muttering something about "apparently we aren't paying enough taxes to afford a ****ing light bulb around here" - he proceeded to make fun of my full legal name. What a DICK!!! I'll just watch the mailbox and wait for the list of additional demands.

So, I waited...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor