Stripping old window tint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I'd like to know if any of you guys have a good method of stripping old window tint. I know a single edge blade and holder comes into play, but is there any type of solvent or chemical to make the job go easier? Kind of like stripping wallpaper, there's a chemical available that you can add to water to help it go smoother.
I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks!

fatload2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 17, 2010
Whorelando FL
If you have a defroster and don't want to damage it do the following:

1. Cut a black trash bag to open width wise
2. Spray the inside of the window with a diluted Formula 409 mixture
3. "Stick" the trash bag to the solution and park in direct sunlight
4. After your glass becomes very hot you can pull on the tint from a corner but try to do it slowly to remove film and adhesive together

As for the sides, just pull off the old tint then go to town with a soap and water mixture. Keep it wet as you scrape and it'll come off easier

bigjoenvegas

Master Mechanic
Dec 2, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Fatload 2 is right! My buddy owns a tint shop and when I stop by I usually help out. I have seen him use the trash bag method and it works! As for the other windows, I've always used soapy water and a scraper blade. Just keep it wet and scrape every bit of the window. When you think your done do it again, so you can get all the adhesive off. Don't retint unless everything is off or it will show in your new tint.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
I had to remove 3 layers of tint on my Cutlass wagon last summer...

3M Adhesive Remover, a few razor blades, some paper towels, and some free time is all you need.

Results are best if you take out the door glass, cause otherwise it can be hard to get out of the channel along the edge.
I already had my rears apart since I was swapping vent windows... But the fronts still have a couple unsightly chunks that I couldn't get to on the edge of the glass...

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks very much, guys.
I had already stripped the rear hatch window . I used a few sharp blades and a solution of soapy water. It came off eventually, but it was a long slow process.
The trash bag method sounds pretty interesting..although I've never heard of it before, I'm willing to try anything that will make life easier.

Thanks again guys. I appreciate it. At least I have a few options to consider.

fatload2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 17, 2010
Whorelando FL
If you have plenty of time and sun you can "bag" the whole car. I just do it on the rear to save defrosters. I've been tinting since 1997 so I can strip the side glass quicker than bagging which let's me move on to the next car. The hotter that glass gets the easier it will come off so don't be afraid to re-apply the 409 and re-bag it a few times. It's still never gonna be a fun and pretty experience and it will usually leave your car smelling like cat piss for a few hours but hey, it works

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Fatload,
Thanks again, man. I will definitely give it a shot. There's no shortage of sun down here. :lol:
Also as long as the cat piss smell doesn't linger more than a day, I can live with it.

*Whorelando....I love it... :lol:

Jg85350Regal

Greasemonkey
Mar 10, 2010
Windsor Locks, CT
anything with amonia in it will soften the adhesive. Ive also heard of people using newspaper instead of bags because you can get the newpaper soaked and then stick it to the glass to hold the cleaner in place. Full stregth windex (not windex auto or whatever there "green" stuff is) has amonia and has worked quite well for me in the past. Time is your friend here as long as you keep the tint wet.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Sounds like another good solution. I know ammonia isn't compatible with window tint.
Thanks JG.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thank you to you too, Blake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor