Studs in stock 28 spline axles

Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaSmurf86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 26, 2012
:blam: Suggestions for a 1/2"x3" stud in my stock 28 spline axles? Right now there a 12mm stud with what i believe to be a .505 knurl. How do i know what to drill the holes to and what knurl ill need after drilling them?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Buy the studs first and the package will tell you the knurl diameter or you can measure it. You need a hole .003 to .005 smaller than the diameter of the knurl. With a stock axle you'll want the short knurl on the stud as well

PapaSmurf86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 26, 2012
Hey i appreciate it. Im thinking the moser ones. A buddy mentioned the screw in style but im not so sure about them. Thanks again.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you do get the 1/2 another concern is that the thread is course so you need to check the wheel nuts after each run. With course threads the nuts will back off quicker as they move more than a fine thread nut will. Nascar has gone to fine threads for that reason. The course thread is nice when changing a wheel in a hurry.

and if you didn't notice I revised the interference for the fit of the studs...Moroso charts say .0001 to .0008 but I think that is a bit too big and a bit too small.

hereiam

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2013
if it is a 1/4 mile car, you may want to check and see what the requirements are. When we run welds and slicks we have to have 2 inches of exposed studs to pass teck

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor