Stumped. No turn signals or brake lights???

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Guys, I put in my dash and steering column in my 80 Regal yesterday. Turn signals and brake lights do not work. Not getting a clicking from the flasher and no bulbs are lighting. The flashers DO work. I have headlights hi and low and running lights. The brake switch is working properly as I tested it with my power probe. The fuses are also good in these circuits. If the turn signal switch is not working, will it cause no brake lights? Really stumped on this one. Again no signals or brake lights but the emergency flashers are working. If I put power to the plug in at fuse panel, the brake lights come on. The ground in trunk is working correctly.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would look at the turn signal switch as being the problem

1568746050428.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Yes, the brake feeds the turn signal switch to split the signal. I thought the hazard switch triggered those, though...... Is the flasher there and functioning (there are 2- 1 for turn, 1 for hazard).

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Give this approach a shot. The issue maybe with the flasher. I had a similar situation occur on my 87 El Camino...flashers worked...no signals and brake lights. The difficulty is finding and changing the flashers. For my 87, there are 2 flashers which are located on the driver's side under the dash above the e-brake pedals. You have to be a contortionist to do it. I would do this before replacing the turn signal switch.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Well guys, thanks for the help. I ended up T tapping the white wire on signal switch connector to single battery terminal on fuse box. Now they work. I figured this out by looking at another Regal dash that was out. My dash and wiring is from an 81 Century. The dash I used for reference was the original from my 80 Regal. It had a white wire with a factory connector on bottom of fuse box hot 12 volts. Did not see the wire in my Century harness. Still stumped but they work now though

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor