stupid arm bushings

Status
Not open for further replies.

87chevyboy

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
anyone have a home made press in tool they charge $100 to press every side in 200 for 4 arms and on top of that i cant get the 2 upper control arm bushings off that long bolt wont come off do i need to take them to a shop with a press??? HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!! i need my car done so i can go to vegas sunday :|

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
87chevyboy said:
anyone have a home made press in tool they charge $100 to press every side in 200 for 4 arms and on top of that i cant get the 2 upper control arm bushings off that long bolt wont come off do i need to take them to a shop with a press??? HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!! i need my car done so i can go to vegas sunday :|
I put a torch to my uppers...then cut out the bushing sleeve. Do it outside, cause they like to fly out when your torch em. As for pressing them back in, u can use a vise or an air gun with a few thick washers to help it go in. But you gotta remember to put some type of brace block between the bushings while youre pressing them back in or you will bend the Arm! I used a scrap piece of PVC pipe with a slot cut out of it. Gotta cut it square or it wont work. Better to find a scrap piece of angle iron, cut to the exact length between the insides of the bushing holes.

richp85elco

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
Long Beach, CA
thats insane bro, is that the price for them to do all the work or for you taking the arms to them? I paid like 50$ they only need to take out 8 bushings. For 100 you can buy the same kind of press they use from harbor freight, there on sale right now. Take a drive to the ghetto and find somewhere cheaper!

87chevyboy

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
richp85elco said:
thats insane bro, is that the price for them to do all the work or for you taking the arms to them? I paid like 50$ they only need to take out 8 bushings. For 100 you can buy the same kind of press they use from harbor freight, there on sale right now. Take a drive to the ghetto and find somewhere cheaper!

yeah bro i took the arms off and everything for 8 bushings they want a bill i think im ago to the south side and find some one for 20 buck :mrgreen: but still how the hell do i get the upper control arm bushings off

87chevyboy

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
richp85elco said:
I had the shop do mine I didnt see them do it for the elco, but ive seen people saw thru the metal sleeve. I just did some on a mustang and they burned the rubber and cut the sleeve out. Youtube it

i found a shop that will let me use there tools and press here in scottsdale az for $10 an hour if i do it my self :) leaving work early to get it done :mrgreen:

Dugan

Greasemonkey
Jun 15, 2011
autozone rents for free a ball joint press use that, but you do need to lay down a 100$ collateral till you bring it back

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor