Sugar in the tank!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So sugar itself can damage an engine then. If your fuel filter was shot, its gonna **** some sh*t up. Thats all that would keep the sugar out, right? The fuel filter?

Theoretically -- assuming it doesn't dissolve.

pontiacgp said:
if you pour sugar down the carb then yes it will damage the engine but not so much while your running it.....when you shut it down the sugar deposits will caramelize on the pistons and rings

Ok, so sugar DOES ruin an engine. Seems the debate, then, is weather sugar can actually make it to the engine. I understand that it can not dissolve in gasoline, but if the filter is sh*t, and the gas is sloshing around enough, seems to me that it could make it to the engine and do some damage.

cdg1984 said:
pontiacgp said:
if you pour sugar down the carb then yes it will damage the engine but not so much while your running it.....when you shut it down the sugar deposits will caramelize on the pistons and rings

Ok, so sugar DOES ruin an engine. Seems the debate, then, is weather sugar can actually make it to the engine. I understand that it can not dissolve in gasoline, but if the filter is sh*t, and the gas is sloshing around enough, seems to me that it could make it to the engine and do some damage.
Sugar CAN dissolve in the water and ethanol in the gasoline and make it past a GOOD filter. The question that I'm speculating is whether it's enough to do damage. "Enough" can be a question affected by many factors. Amount of sugar (saturation of the sugar solution), even if negligible, that makes it past a filter in the water or ethanol, OVER TIME, will crystalize and leave residue deposits. Anyone disagree? No? ok, now consider the following:

Now from my experience with bleach, which made it past two fuel filters and residue was left in the fuel injectors, it was enough to clog them.

Now having said that sugar CAN make it past a fuel filter in a dissolved state (ie. ina solution), and considering that any fine amount of residue, sticking in the fuel injectors, or carb jets, or even in the piston rings, valves, or even in the oil will make it to the bearing seals, will have an effect on the engine. See where I'm going here?

Sugar poured in the carb, would at most kill the engine if it blocked enough airflow, without sufficient water or pure alcohol to dissolve the sugar it will not CARAMELIZE AND EVEN IF IT DID, IT WON'T STICK TO THE INTERNALS UNDER THE PRESSURES OF COMBUSTION, IN THIRTY SECONDS YOU WOULD NEVER KNOW IT WAS PUT IN THERE. (Sorry about the caps, accidentally hit the damn caps button. :mrgreen: )
This has been done by goodness knows how many testing procedures by who knows how many magazines, engineering firms, car manufacturers and just dudes in the back yard. I did it with a Briggs and Stratton about 25 years ago and it it made no difference whether it pus poured in the carb or in the tank, it did eventually fill up the bowl and slow down the flow of fuel to the point that the engine would only idle, but didn't hurt a thing. I was doing this to show another hard head that the myth is a myth. :wink:

Randy_W said:
Sugar poured in the carb, would at most kill the engine if it blocked enough airflow, without sufficient water or pure alcohol to dissolve the sugar it will not CARAMELIZE AND EVEN IF IT DID, IT WON'T STICK TO THE INTERNALS UNDER THE PRESSURES OF COMBUSTION, IN THIRTY SECONDS YOU WOULD NEVER KNOW IT WAS PUT IN THERE. (Sorry about the caps, accidentally hit the damn caps button. :mrgreen: )
This has been done by goodness knows how many testing procedures by who knows how many magazines, engineering firms, car manufacturers and just dudes in the back yard. I did it with a Briggs and Stratton about 25 years ago and it it made no difference whether it pus poured in the carb or in the tank, it did eventually fill up the bowl and slow down the flow of fuel to the point that the engine would only idle, but didn't hurt a thing. I was doing this to show another hard head that the myth is a myth. :wink:
Can't argue with a thing you said. All sounds feasible and makes sense to me. Only thing I can account for is that the shyt made it from my tank to the carb past sock and fuel filter, even after a new filter was put in.

Randy_W said:

I know sugar is the tank won't harm the engine but I thought putting some down the carb would...I have never read where it's been tested and thanks to your experiment I was wrong....I tried to break the briggs and stratton engine on the lawnmower when I was a kid and I succeeded..they are a tough little engine and the only thing I forgot was my dad still had the push mower.... 😢

454muscle said:
...Only thing I can account for is that the shyt made it from my tank to the carb past sock and fuel filter, even after a new filter was put in.

I always thought you had said that somebody had put bleach in your tank way back when..?
I could be wrong, my memory can be kinda fuzzy...

Bleach will seriously **** up your whole fuel system.

Blake442 said:
454muscle said:
...Only thing I can account for is that the shyt made it from my tank to the carb past sock and fuel filter, even after a new filter was put in.

I always thought you had said that somebody had put bleach in your tank way back when..?
I could be wrong, my memory can be kinda fuzzy...

Bleach will seriously **** up your whole fuel system.
Yep. Last year my current ride got the bleach treatment.
10 years ago my 2nd GP got the sugar treatment from the previous owner. Which is why he sold it to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor