Sugar in the tank!

Status
Not open for further replies.
454muscle said:
axisg said:
Thank you for the grade 6 science lesson "bro". So I propose that you explain yourself further. How did the sugar dissolve ( even though its been proven that suger does not dissolve in gasoline ); then sneak past your sock and fuel filter, then re-appear as sludge in your carburator ? Your are theorising that the sugar went from a solid, to a liquid ( to get past your filters ) then "re-appeared" as as a gel or semi-solid in your carburator.
"If" the gasoline were able to break down the "Crystalline" sugar molocule strings to make a fine enough "solution" containing parts of both gasoline and sugar it would need to be fine enough to pass through both the sock and the fuel filter. Then, at that point what other factors could possibly be introduced in your carburator ( and just past the fuel filter I might add ) to mysteriously change this "solution" of gasoline and sugar from the fine liquid that just passed the filter to produce the gel or sludge you describe and not be injested into the motor and burned up ?

Bottom line; If the fuel filters were in place they would have blocked the flow of 99% of the foreign contaminants. Maybe someone dumped another chemical in your tank which will combine with gasoline to make sludge but it was definately not sugar.
Since you asked to explain myself further. I answered respectfully, not to insult you by the way. So calm down.

Do you even know what a solution is? It's not grade 6, it's grade 11 actually. When a crystal dissolves in a liquid, there are NO solid particles. That's all I was trying to say. That's a SOLUTION. I didn't say it dissolves in gasoline. Maybe in the water or the alcohol in the gas. There are no "crystaline particles" that have to be "small enough". A solution of sugar or salt or any mineral can leave traces on a solid and begin to crystalize -- this is how crystals are formed.

I am not insulted, I just didn't apprecialte the sarcasm connected to the science lesson comment since you provide no science in your theory.

How do you explain the sugar going from a crystal when poured in the tank, to a liquid with apparent sugar particulate fine enough to pass thru the filters, and back to a semi-solid or gel as gunk in your carburator, when sugar and gasoline will not mix to make a solution to begin with ? Further how do you remove the gasoline from the mixture to reduce the solution to a gel or crystal in your carburator ?

If you mix salt and water together the solt will dissolve into the water and make a solution. Sugar and gasoline will not mix together to make a solution. So how does the sugar make it from the tank to your carb ?

axisg said:
I am not insulted, I just didn't apprecialte the sarcasm connected to the science lesson comment since you provide no science in your theory.

How do you explain the sugar going from a crystal when poured in the tank, to a liquid with apparent sugar particulate fine enough to pass thru the filters, and back to a semi-solid or gel as gunk in your carburator, when sugar and gasoline will not mix to make a solution to begin with ? Further how do you remove the gasoline from the mixture to reduce the solution to a gel or crystal in your carburator ?

If you mix salt and water together the solt will dissolve into the water and make a solution. Sugar and gasoline will not mix together to make a solution. So how does the sugar make it from the tank to your carb ?
Now you understand, for the most part. That's all I wanted. But still you mention "particulate fine enough to pass thru filters". In a solution, like coolade, there are no (solid) particles. Btw, a solution that dries on a solid object (ie. water evaporates) will leave behind residue. This residue can form crystals again depending on conditions.

As for your other questions -- I dunno. You explain it. That's what I asked pontiacgp. If I wasn't hallucinating, and if it wasn't the sugar, then you can leave it as an unexplained mystery.

no one said you were hallucinating....what you said was "long story but basically when changing the tank out, it was FILLED with yellowish sludgy goo. GOO, mind you, which made it to the carburator.".....gas and sugar don't mix and even it it did it would not make a yellowish sludgy goo.....it was something else in the gas..

pontiacgp said:
no one said you were hallucinating....what you said was "long story but basically when changing the tank out, it was FILLED with yellowish sludgy goo. GOO, mind you, which made it to the carburator.".....gas and sugar don't mix and even it it did it would not make a yellowish sludgy goo.....it was something else in the gas..
Thankyou!!!! for finally attempting to make a valid point. That's being scientific. Picking on my ride and name calling is not. Was that so hard?

454muscle said:
pontiacgp said:
Thankyou!!!! for finally attempting to make a valid point. That's being scientific. Picking on my ride and name calling is not. Was that so hard?

nice reply...real nice..but name calling and picking on your ride?...I think you are hallucinating afterall

454muscle said:
axisg said:

Now you understand, for the most part. That's all I wanted. But still you mention "particulate fine enough to pass thru filters". In a solution, like coolade, there are no (solid) particles. Btw, a solution that dries on a solid object (ie. water evaporates) will leave behind residue. This residue can form crystals again depending on conditions.

As for your other questions -- I dunno. You explain it. That's what I asked pontiacgp. If I wasn't hallucinating, and if it wasn't the sugar, then you can leave it as an unexplained mystery.

so if you indeed after all this understand that sugar and gasoline will not mix then what are you arguing about and being so sarcastic about ?

pontiacgp said:
454muscle said:

nice reply...real nice..but name calling and picking on your ride?...I think you are hallucinating afterall
-nevermind-

axisg said:
454muscle said:
axisg said:

so if you indeed after all this understand that sugar and gasoline will not mix then what are you arguing about and being so sarcastic about ?
Dude, are you kidding me?! For someone making uneducated, unscientific arguments do you really want to be so relentless? And "after all what that"? You think you've somehow convinced me that "sugar and gasoline will not mix"? I never said they do in the first place. For real, go back and read my first argument for your answer.

454muscle said:
pontiacgp said:
camaroadam...with all due respect your just a guy on a forum talking about your experience with an engine...if the valves were white in your engine that indicates a very lean mixture and a lean mixture can fry an engine, sugar turns brown when heated. Sugar in gas tanks has been around for a long time so why is it there is no research you can point to that has a conclusion sugar can ruin an engine...I'll tell you why, it doesn't..sugar has a better chance now if there is any alcohol in the gas you buy because sugar will dissolve in alcohol that can lead to a trace of sugar making it through the filter but not enough to have any effect....and your thanking 454 for his post that included this?..." a bag of sugar wont really do too much harm"
Wow thanks for clearing that one up. [color=#FFFF00] I guess that sludge that I cleaned off my carburator about 6 times and finally that sludge that made it into the new Holly wasn't sugar after all. Must have been my imagination. And I must have wasted my money on that new gas tank, because I obviously didn't need it! I coulda swore it was full of sugar when I tried dumping it.[/color] The hesitations, the car stalling in the middle of the road, pulling over. None of it was real. Man I'm gonna go check myself in first thing tomorrow morning at the local mental institute and tell them about my hallucinations. That happenned 10 years ago. About sugar that didn't really exist.
:?: Well that's the only possible solution. I wouldn't want to be narrow minded or anything. :roll:

First you say it doesn't, then in this post you say it does. Then you get sarcastic and start with the put downs when I point it out that sugar and gasoline do not mix and that sugar will not pass thru the filtering system. Now you challenge me to read thru your posts to point out where you said it would.

a locking gas cap does not always help ive seen people hold pressure on 1 side of a locking gas cap and turn it right off and ive also seen people put a drywall screw though the top and it makes it a fixed cap so the top doesnt just turn then.
but thats just what i have seen

OK I am done. Work is almost over and I am heading home to make supper. Have fun kids ! Argue amongst yourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor