Suggestion On Raising Ride Height

Status
Not open for further replies.

4dr_pontiac_lemans

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 13, 2018
Yea like mentioned above , your tire situation is dangerous ! Springs will probably be your first venture into raising ride height , and how much you raise it will determine the rest .

Yes I dont even like the wheels but those are the ones that were on the car when I bought it. I've bout some 16 or 17 inch camaro iroc rallies they wouldnt fit because they were resting on the inner frame so those are i want to say 10inch wide performance wheels and theyre just on there til I can figure out how to raise it to clear anything other than 15 inch. I have a set of 17s, 22s and 24s that fit but the tire all sit on my inner frame in the rear

4dr_pontiac_lemans

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 13, 2018
You could use stock A-Body w/Big Block or B-body w/Big Block coil springs to get some additional ride height. Shocks aren't meant lower or lift a vehicle, just soften the impact of roadway obstructions. New springs make a ton of difference on these cars; they really don't sit that low.

you have some part numbers from summit racing you could give me? So is it me or is the car sitting alot lower than usual? I think i should be able to slide underneath it a little without jacking it up right?

4dr_pontiac_lemans

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 13, 2018
I am not sure why you would want to raise it but I would make sure your suspension and body mounts are in good shape first before attempting to do anything to change the ride height.

looking to raise it because I'm trying to get clearance for rims in the future

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
because first off my frame isn't notched so the car won't even clear 16 inch wheels and I'm looking to put some 20 inches on it when im done with paint

You don't need to lift it at all for some little 20" wheels. You need to buy wheels meant to fit your car specifically; that would also eliminate having to use spacers or notching the frame.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

4dr_pontiac_lemans

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 13, 2018
You don't need to lift it at all for some little 20" wheels. You need to buy wheels meant to fit your car specifically; that would also eliminate having to use spacers or notching the frame.

okay i see! Cause the two sets I have are universal but where for fords

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
F-body wheels have way too much backspacing for G-bodies. Forget about offset, that's for newer cars and imports, backspacing is what's important for these old cars. 4.5" backspacing is about the max for a wheel to fit a G-body in the rear without touching the frame.
Dodge and Ford wheels have a different bolt pattern altogether and should be avoided.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

4dr_pontiac_lemans

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 13, 2018
F-body wheels have way too much backspacing for G-bodies. Forget about offset, that's for newer cars and imports, backspacing is what's important for these old cars. 4.5" backspacing is about the max for a wheel to fit a G-body in the rear without touching the frame.
Dodge and Ford wheels have a different bolt pattern altogether and should be avoided.

the 22s I have came off of a 2000 crown vic theyre universal but the frame sits on the tires in the back. and the pattern is 5x4.50

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor