Suggestion On Raising Ride Height

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
the 22s I have came off of a 2000 crown vic theyre universal but the frame sits on the tires in the back. and the pattern is 5x4.50

That is exactly the problem of having the wrong wheel backspacing for these cars. Don't buy used wheels off of something else that isn't a G-body.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Use bigger springs to change ride height. When I had my old '81 Malibu wagon I wanted to raise it for big 225-75-15 tires. I had put a Pontiac 400 in so bigger springs were a must anyway. I went with Firebird 400 springs which raised the front way too much. I then cut off 3/4 coils a 1/4 coil at a time until the front dropped to where I wanted it, which was about 3" above stock. Cutting the coils also stiffened the ride but that was fine with me. Out back I used "High Jacker" coil springs from JC Whitney which raised the rear about 3" too. On my current '83 Bonnewagon I have a Pontiac 301 motor so I used Firebird 301 springs in the front. That raised the front only about 2" but the tires still fit with an occasional rub. I tried Buick LaSabre springs out back but they raised the rear way too much. The suspension travel was maxed out. Thye pic in my avatart shows that. I went back to the "High Hackers" and they are still there.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
If you keep the overall tire diameter close to the OEM 26", you will have better luck avoiding rubbing issues. A quick surf of Tire Rack found something in the neighborhood.
255-30-20.JPG
Starting with this size as the target, you can explore other brands to find something more affordable. Try to find rims with a 5x4.75 zero offset pattern. Backspacing...um, try 4"..others may weight in with better advice.

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
because first off my frame isn't notched so the car won't even clear 16 inch wheels and I'm looking to put some 20 inches on it when im done with paint
<----------16s on that wagon, fit fine, no notch, drive it almost every day.

Wheel offset and /or backspace are the issue moreso than diameter

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
That is exactly the problem of having the wrong wheel backspacing for these cars. Don't buy used wheels off of something else that isn't a G-body.

Square body S10 wheels should be fine, they seem to have about the same size restrictions as G bodies.

4dr_pontiac_lemans

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 13, 2018
If you keep the overall tire diameter close to the OEM 26", you will have better luck avoiding rubbing issues. A quick surf of Tire Rack found something in the neighborhood.
View attachment 99780
Starting with this size as the target, you can explore other brands to find something more affordable. Try to find rims with a 5x4.75 zero offset pattern. Backspacing...um, try 4"..others may weight in with better advice.

well I have 22' and 24' inch wheels that fit

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Camaro is an F body, one way to tell an F body driver has a mullet, a G body driver has no mullet

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

4dr_pontiac_lemans

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 13, 2018
Camaro is an F body, one way to tell an F body driver has a mullet, a G body driver has no mullet

LMAO that's funny. so would I be correct in saying that most pontiac springs/shocks will fit even from bigger body pontiacs like catalinas, parisians etc etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor