Summit Copper Radiator

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Wait, did I understand you right ? The early 78-80 upper hose is a different size than the newer models ? That was the one thing that held me back from buying the one from Summit. According to the specs the upper is stepped down from 1 9/16 to 1 5/16. Think that 1 1/2 early hose would slip over that extra 1/16" ??
Not sure the reason why or if it is the same for BOP V8's but they did reduce the upper radiator outlet for '81. All these years I've had my '81 & I found this out after I got my Cold Case.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Not sure the reason why or if it is the same for BOP V8's but they did reduce the upper radiator outlet for '81. All these years I've had my '81 & I found this out after I got my Cold Case.

So the Summit 3 core should work with the earlier hose ? Its a 1/16 difference.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
That 1/16" might be cause of the raised rib to help hold the hose clamp from slidding off the outlet.

Didnt think of that. Hmm, if the tube is 1 9/16" and the rib is actually higher I wonder if the hose will still slip over it. Guess I'll have to order it and find out. I wish it wasnt a holiday weekend. Now its going to take a few more days. UGH, I'll never get this crap done.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Like I said, considering the factory cars that came with 3 core rads used different saddles than factory 4 core, it is no wonder wide aluminum rads don't bolt in our cars, all factory 3 cores correct? The aluminum plastic replacements are one core but cool very well. That F body single core aluminum plastic rad out cooled the 3 core G body Champion rad. This current wider A body rad was cheaper and even cools better.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Like I said, considering the factory cars that came with 3 core rads used different saddles than factory 4 core, it is no wonder wide aluminum rads don't bolt in our cars, all factory 3 cores correct? The aluminum plastic replacements are one core but cool very well. That F body single core aluminum plastic rad out cooled the 3 core G body Champion rad. This current wider A body rad was cheaper and even cools better.

What years for the F and A body radiators ?
Are the dimensions close ?

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
I used urethane saddles and opened them up with a carbide burr. The tanks on a factory radiator are taller than the core. The tanks on an aftermarket aluminum radiator are not.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
I used urethane saddles and opened them up with a carbide burr. The tanks on a factory radiator are taller than the core. The tanks on an aftermarket aluminum radiator are not.
As I look at pics of the el cheapo aluminum radiators they appear to have tanks that are taller than the core which means that they would sit in the saddles like the factory. Neither my Champion or ECP are like that.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
As I look at pics of the el cheapo aluminum radiators they appear to have tanks that are taller than the core which means that they would sit in the saddles like the factory. Neither my Champion or ECP are like that.
The summit aluminum rad I stuck in my c10 a couple months ago had the same core/tank height ratio as the original copper/brass that came out of it.

Really I think it depends on what you buy, and from who. It all comes back to measure measure measure. If a rad seller/distributor won't tell you/show you core and tank dimensions shop elsewhere.

As an afterthought, the new OEM radiators like in my mustang don't use the saddle mount system, they bolt in and tanks/core are flush with each other by design.

I think some of the rad makers (not saying names) are too lazy to make them both styles of construction, and just build everything the modern way regardless of how the thing it's going into was originally made.

Last edited:

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
The other issue I might have is I need the width to be right to clear the condensor lines on the right side. I think theres a 28" wide radiator out there too. The new condensor should be here on Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor