Summit rear end gears?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have built several 8.5" 10 bolt rears with Summit gears and the results varied. While they set up and ran fins - no fit or durability issues - some sets did whine a bit. Its to be expected with cheaper gearsets, especially the higher numerical ratios....3.73, 4.11 etc

techg8 said:
I have built several 8.5" 10 bolt rears with Summit gears and the results varied. While they set up and ran fins - no fit or durability issues - some sets did whine a bit. Its to be expected with cheaper gearsets, especially the higher numerical ratios....3.73, 4.11 etc
I dunno when's the last time you bought Summit gears, but they are made by Richmond Gear now and they even have the Richmond Logo stamped on them...I have 4.10 gears and have had then for 3 years now and there are no issues whatsoever....Go with the Summit gears, you'll be ok with them.

techg8 said:
Sounds like you didnt set them up right. JBreu is correct they are Richmond gears. A rear end is not suppose to whine or make a noise. If it does you did it wrong.

I 100% stand by all Summit Name Brand Products.

hurst1979olds said:
Sounds like you didnt set them up right. JBreu is correct they are Richmond gears. A rear end is not suppose to whine or make a noise. If it does you did it wrong.
{quote]

No that was my point, that they were set up right and still whined a little on a few sets at light part throttle cruise. No amount of tinkering could get the whine quieted.

I have used USA gear, Motive gear, Quality gear, Richmond and Summit gears and the Summits had the most issues with whine.

And while I agree that a rear end is not "supposed to" make a noise, I disagree that a light whine means you did it wrong. Its just not the case.

Aftermarket gear companies often sell several levels of quality in their gearsets and the price paid reflects that. The less expensive ones sometimes whine a bit more. Whatever makes them achieve a less expensive price point, be it manufacturing, materials, run-in or what have you, seems -sometimes- to result in a whining gearset.

I am not saying Summit gears are bad or that they should be avoided - not at all. They were good gears for a reasonable price.

ok so i have a question what gear ratio is best and why...what are pros and cons to 3.73 vs 4.10 and so on...im wondering which gear to use in my elky

houndin101 said:
ok so i have a question what gear ratio is best and why...what are pros and cons to 3.73 vs 4.10 and so on...im wondering which gear to use in my elky

Depends on alot of factors such as, engine build, size of stall, what transmission, and what will you be doing with the car.

I run 3.42 in a mild built 350 and love them. Good enough to get off the line and I am not running 3k going down the highway.

cullencombs said:
houndin101 said:

Depends on alot of factors such as, engine build, size of stall, what transmission, and what will you be doing with the car.

I run 3.42 in a mild built 350 and love them. Good enough to get off the line and I am not running 3k going down the highway.
mild 350 build stock stall th350 jus a DD with some pep

I have an extra rearend housing with the gears out and wondering what, if any, gearset would work better for my application than the stock gears. I have roughly 1000 extra lbs of weight on the car due to hydraulic equipment and a Chevy 305 with th350 trans. I have the 7.5" 10 bolt rear. Anything I can add onto my summit order?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor