Suspension help!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

montessaj

Apprentice
Feb 1, 2008
Lampasas, Texas
Hey guys, I know some over you are already on a rant on someone else's question pertaining to suspension. But I was gonna run my future set up by you guys before I finish buying it.

Items I have:
Hotchkiss drop springs all the way around
Bilstein shocks all the way around
Spohn Sway bars 1 5/16" in front 1" in back
UMI Boxed LCA in rear, and tubular UCA All with poly bushings.
12:1 quick ration steering box
All new MOOG tie rods, centerlink, pitman arm
Spohn tie rod adjuster
SC&C front frame braces
(I also have belltech 2" drop spindles, but I don't think I will use them)

What I need help with:

Front a-arms

I was thinking:

Spohn tubular upper and lower a-arms with poly bushings lower will have the spring box

OR maybe spome SPC upper control arms, only thing is I have no clue how to adjust them or anything like that.

I am using SSBC quick change dual piston calipers, stainless steel lines, and cross drilled and slotted rotors.

This car is a street car, may see SOME strip time like once or twice a year.
I really want something that can handle the turns and braking as good as it goes in a straight line. I have the brakes already, I was going to do Baer just no $ for it you know?

All suggestions and help would be much appreciated. Let me know if I made some poor choices on what I've bought. This is the first time doing this for me.

THANKS GUYS

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
That sounds like a real nice setup to me. I wouldn't use the drop spindles either... if anything, run a tall ball in the lower arms to improve the camber and that will lower the front a good .5-.75

I would do the SPC uppers for adjustability. The people who set your alignment with know what to do with them. The Spohn tubular uppers look nice but you could end up with a fat stack of shims and still not get the alignment desired (ask me how I know!)

How do you like those SSBC calipers? I was thinking going that route on the Malibu.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
definately a good list. the only thing i'd change is the poly bushings. poly creates binding issues especially in the rear. for the front LCA's delrin is the best. if you go with the spc upper (i would for the adjustability) get the greasable race bushings. IIRC for the rear you want johnny joints on the frame side and poly on the axle. this way the rear can articulate properly, eliminating wheel hop. you should be able to get the johnny joints seperately and press them into the arms. go to the currie (mostly known for rear axles) webstite for more info.
the spc arms are easily adjusted, it's kind of like a tie rod link. loosen the jam nuts and turn the center link/adjuster.
with all of the improvements you will need a "custom" alignment. i'd get the specs from marcus at SC&C. it'll probably be something like -0.5* camber both sides, +9*caster pass side, +5* caster D/S. and -.05* toe.
oh yeah, get the howe tall ball joints to correct the stock geometry to something decent.

montessaj

Apprentice
Feb 1, 2008
Lampasas, Texas
I appreciate all the help guys. I think I will go with the SPCs.
Tony, as for the SSBC I haven't put them on the car, waiting to do it all at once, but I will definetly let you know how they work out. :)

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
Yes, let me know on the SSBC's.

BTW, I have poly bushings on all my control arms, front and back... no binding and quiet as a mouse - again, this is from my actual personal experience with them - not just something I read somewhere and repeated.

PS. Glad to see you aren't wasting time with factory sway bars. :wink:

montessaj

Apprentice
Feb 1, 2008
Lampasas, Texas
lol i love it how you and megladon duke it out on the whole suspension things. I have also never heard of them binding either. thanks for all your help.

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
get stock car upper a arms!!! they are the same as Hotchkins! i have seen them side by side. i paid less that 100 bucks for both of the, i just traded my old set for them. in my opinion that is the way to go, it is sooooo much cheaper and trust me they are the same, i have them on my car now!

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
when i quote somebody it's usually an expert, it's always someone who's done the proper testing. or i go from my personal experience. i haven't had any real noise issues from poly but i've definately had binding. maybe you just don't push the car hard enough.
i have to say i'm surprised at your support of his choice of sway bars, after all it's too small-only 1 5/16. IIRC the f-41 front bar was a 1 1/4.

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
Well I'm glad we cleared up that SPC arms are adjustable. However I didn't know you were running poly bushings? And why are the greasable race bushings better than the high durometer ones that cost more?

He'll be fine with the 1 5/16" and 1" sway bars, just as long as he's not searching junkyards for inferior factory suspension parts. :wink:

But I don't know... I just like saying Johnny Joints!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor