Suspension help!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
Well I'm glad we cleared up that SPC arms are adjustable.
it's great that you realized that, but what does it have to do with the discussion.
poly bushings--i've run them on a few cars, they have limits.
actually it's not that i like saying it, but i do like being able to help someone get things just right on their car with out spending more money than necessary, inc. not having to replace parts because they don't work properly with the other parts. if you took the blindfold off and actually read my posts you'd realize that i only recommended the junkyard sway bars to establish a baseline with the other parts. then you figure out how much more you need. this way you don't wind up with a non-compliant suspension. i know that according to you "there's no such thing as too stiff when it comes to cornering" but if that was true everyone would weld the control arms to the car. how well do you think THAT would handle?

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
You were being redundant - its annoying when people just reply w/o reading the whole topic. The same point gets repeated.

I'm all for a budget build, but you have to know where to spend the money. Putting on aftermarket sway bars designed for a particular application does not make a 'non-compliant' system. That is the more ridiculous thing I've heard. Even more ridiculus would be spending money to buy factory sway bars only to find out you'll still have some serious body roll and the need to buy the aftermarket part that was designed to improve to stock part that it replaces. Doh?

You act like there is this magical assortment of sway bars and that one needs to pick out the very precise sized one with the correct metal property to acutely fine tune a suspension. All this BS just to deflect the fact that you told the guy to use stock sway bars and the Hotckis set would be 'non-compliant'. :roll:

I don't know about you, but I like a stiff suspension, when I take a turn, I don't feel any body roll when I'm coming off a clover leaf going 65. Complete control. But then again, I like a full, true dual exhaust system that exits behind the rear wheels, and others like..... sidepipes. I'd suggest working out your own setup and giving advice based on that.

And again, you recommended greasable race bushings over the more expensive high durometer ones... Why is that? Enlighten us please...

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
yes i'm being redundant, that's because you don't appear to understand english. get a translator and read my posts again. i did not say the hotckis bars would be non-compliant. i said they "might be too stiff and non-compliant". if you don't understand "might" or "too", (remember that's 2 o's), get a dictionary.
There's no such thing as too stiff when it comes to cornering.
speaking of ridiculous statements.
again, how much are junkyard bars going to cost? and how hard is it to understand the concept of a baseline. spend a little bit of money to test things out and save money in the long run.
yes, for maximum handling there is the perfect size, material, structure, and construction to a sway bar, or any suspension component. and anything he does to the suspension to alter it, changes what he needs. if he did the hotchkis tvs kit and that's it, i'm sure the bars would be good enough. but i never liked "good enough" and if he uses OPG springs the spring rate will be different, if he uses SPC arms and tall ball joints the geometry will be different. if he changes the alignment the car will react differently. hell, the way he drives can affect sway bar choice. a stiff suspension is great, too stiff means a loss of handling.
as for the race bushings, i'd think it's obvious. solid bushing=zero deflection=no alignment changes in cornering=better handling. rubber bushing=deflection=alignment changes=less predictable and lesser handling. and hey, they're cheaper.
but i guess that since you don't have personal experience with them they must be crap, right?
and i have worked out my own setup. on this car and others. and i'm smart enough to learn from others and actually research how things work. but there is no one magic piece or setup that gives max performance to every person. that's why you experiment. you don't just get the most expensive part or version and say "it cost more it must be better!"
and no offense but my vw does 60 on cloverleafs.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
:lol:
good point.

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
i think you both have good points, its times like these when all the good usable knowledge is shared.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
yeah, but i realize that i'm starting to lose my temper.
tony at no point have i been trying to say that you are wrong about the ST bars working extremely well, i'm just trying to get people the best handling they can, step by step. my apologies to you and the other people watching the 2 threads, especially the guys that started them, for the anger and sarcasm.

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
i'd hold off on the sway bars and get stock ones from a junkyard. the hotchkiss ones may be too stiff and non-compliant.

That's what you said...now you're backpeddling?? Can you tell us what the definition of 'is' is Mr. Clinton? And I promise to get a dictionary for you if you promise to learn how to spell Hotchkis and capitalize properly. :lol:

You're acting like there are an infinite number of sway bar sets and it is the final end all/say all part for fine acute adjustments to a suspension. But suggesting someone should comb a yard for inferior stock bars is just ridiculous. Is this what you are doing with yours? You know, I bet you wont even have to upgrade that stout rear 3/4" bar, it should work just fine. :roll:

I always try to share what has worked well for me, and if I read something that I think is wrong or misguided information, I try to give my opinion based on experience. I wish folks would have done that for me in some cases. It would've save me a crapload of time and money.

PS. My Dad is faster on the cloverleaf than your Dad. :roll:

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
megaladon6 said:
yeah, but i realize that i'm starting to lose my temper.
tony at no point have i been trying to say that you are wrong about the ST bars working extremely well, i'm just trying to get people the best handling they can, step by step. my apologies to you and the other people watching the 2 threads, especially the guys that started them, for the anger and sarcasm.

No apology needed here... Just open discussion - that's what this place is for!

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
i said "hold off on" that means wait, and "may be". i don't understand why you insist that i said he has to use stock. i have explained over and over again why i recommended to go with stock AT FIRST, and you have obviously not read any of it. and you keep insisting that all bars are differnt, despite evidence to the contrary.
i am going to determine the best bar for my car and get that, just the way i recommend and i've done before. that's why my old golf outhandled bmw m5's.
i am honestly surprised that you are so petty that you harp about one double s and a lack of capitalization. and i'm sure your dad does go faster than mine on cloverleafs. all i was saying is that if your car is modded you should be able to do better than that. maybe that's what comes of not understanding how systems work. take some physics, metallurgy, and suspension courses and get back to me when you have a clue what you're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor