CUTLASS Suspension Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

oLdS1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 25, 2018
Van Wert OH
So, I'm hopeful someone can bail me out with this one...

I just finished installing UMI upper and lower control arms, UMI sway bar and Viking coil-overs. Ride height was set and all was well.

After driving about 70 miles the passenger side dropped down almost an inch. The driver side did not drop but I didn't notice it until I thought about it after running into the next issue...

After I adjusted the driver side higher and put the car back on the ground the passenger side was sitting where I originally set it. Would preload and how tight the control arm bolts have anything to do with this?

The pic below is where the original ride height was set.

Any help is appreciated!

20180516_203732.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Control arm bolts should always be tightened at ride height (Like with ramps) but this is mainly for rubber bushings. Greasable bushings can be tightened at full droop - but I still tighten them at ride height.

The swap bar is going to try to keep things level, so raising one side will raise the other. I would undo the sway bar when adjusting the ride heights, then tighten it back up when the heights are where you want them.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

oLdS1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 25, 2018
Van Wert OH
That makes sense but mine happened somewhat backwards if that. The passenger side dropped without touching the driver side. I left the house and the car was level, an hour later the passenger side was sitting on top of the tire. There was almost 3/4" difference between the two. Is it possible that a don't have the swap bar tight enough?

oLdS1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 25, 2018
Van Wert OH
Sorry, "sway bar". I should have taken pics of how low it was. I just got in the house from raising the front about .5" on both sides. Tightened everything up with the suspension loaded and as of now it's level. I'll watch and see if it drops while I'm doing the rear suspension.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the stock control arms need to be tightened at ride height but the UMI control arms have either joints or Energy polyurethane bushings so they can be tightened at any angle without it affecting anything. One thing with the Energy polyurethane bushings is they use 1/2" bolts so I hoped you opened the holes to use the 1/2" bolts

oLdS1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 25, 2018
Van Wert OH
The coil over has a double nut that jam together. The nuts we're tight when I took it apart and they we're in the same place I originally set them at.

I did open the holes up for the 1/2" bolts as well.

I went out today before work and the car is sitting where I left it last night with no change at all in height. I have the rear up on stands as I am starting to r&r all if that stuff. I'll look again once I get home.

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Maybe a coil was hung up on one of the locating ears/tabs that are in the spring pocket

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Nice looking Cutlass, we only live about 30 minutes apart!

Reactions: 1 users

oLdS1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 25, 2018
Van Wert OH
Thanks! She's at work in progress but somewhat respectable. Just looked at your profile, not far at all. Do you have a pic of your wheels? Those look nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor