Swap Accessories Issues! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGBody87

Greasemonkey
Jan 7, 2018
Hey! So, I have the 454 in the 1987 Monte SS and it's running and driving. I have it running as a a V-Belt system with no power steering... I just bought brackets and adapter plates to make the S10 serpentine system work on the 454. I am about to install everything but I picked up a brand new alternator from a 1994 S10, and the A/C compressor from the 1994 S10. What I was trying to figure out next was how to electrically hook these up in the car. I think the Alt is a three wire? can this even be connected to the factory harness? Should I have ordered a custom Alt or what suggestions do you have. I need it to be able to bolt into the mount, but I am not sure how to wire it. The A/C I was just going to buy a factory pig-tail and wire it into the harness accordingly.

Thank you!

RegalBegal

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2009
Goldsboro, NC
If your going to a cs130 or cs144 alternator you can either buy or make an adaptor. Theres 2 kinds, with or without a resistor. With an idiot light you dont need the resistor with gauges you do. Summit carries them.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...FzYfU8KaJu_eMLWytRXuOr-VhTHwYKcIaAoi6EALw_wcB

TFF-7625B_xl.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

RGBody87

Greasemonkey
Jan 7, 2018
which model alternator are you using?

Sorry for the late response! I actually thought I'd get an email notification and I did not.... my fault. I had the 12SI alternator in there presently, and now I just purchased the CS130D from a 1994 S10... I think from the post below you I can just add that resisted wire connector and be set! Thanks!

RGBody87

Greasemonkey
Jan 7, 2018

Mike T

Greasemonkey
Mar 25, 2018
Baton Rouge, LA
A cautionary word here. Back in 1970, I drove my 65 GTO with the power steering belt off for about a month. After about a week without the belt, i started noticing some slack in the neutral steering. I had to turn the wheel a little further every couple of days to make the car turn. After about a month, the car would "wander" left and/or right while i was driving straight down the road. It actually got scary one day, so I finally climbed under the hood and started looking around. I was even stupider then than I am now and couldn't find anything wrong. I asked an old guy who had a 69 GTO down the street (must have been about 24) to take a look.

He asked what was wrong and when I told him he said, "I don't have to look. There is a non-metalic joint in your steering rod under the hood. Running the car without the power steering hooked up is tearing that joint up and creating a lot of slack. Drive the car a few more day like this and the car will go where it wants, not where you steer it. Hey, go in that cooler and get me another beer." Sure enough, that old fart was right.

My point is, make sure you aren't tearing up your steering system by putting extra pressure on steering components that are designed for the mechanical assist that power steering provides.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

RGBody87

Greasemonkey
Jan 7, 2018
A cautionary word here. Back in 1970, I drove my 65 GTO with the power steering belt off for about a month. After about a week without the belt, i started noticing some slack in the neutral steering. I had to turn the wheel a little further every couple of days to make the car turn. After about a month, the car would "wander" left and/or right while i was driving straight down the road. It actually got scary one day, so I finally climbed under the hood and started looking around. I was even stupider then than I am now and couldn't find anything wrong. I asked an old guy who had a 69 GTO down the street (must have been about 24) to take a look.

He asked what was wrong and when I told him he said, "I don't have to look. There is a non-metalic joint in your steering rod under the hood. Running the car without the power steering hooked up is tearing that joint up and creating a lot of slack. Drive the car a few more day like this and the car will go where it wants, not where you steer it. Hey, go in that cooler and get me another beer." Sure enough, that old fart was right.

My point is, make sure you aren't tearing up your steering system by putting extra pressure on steering components that are designed for the mechanical assist that power steering provides.
I appreciate this! I was actually considering just replacing the box to be safe... honestly my steering box will probably start dumping fluid once it's re-pressurized again for the first time in a long time.

Reactions: 1 user

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
There is a non-metalic joint in your steering rod under the hood. Running the car without the power steering hooked up is tearing that joint up and creating a lot of slack.

I belive what you are referring to is the rag joint in the steering shafts. There are a quite a few posts here about replacing the old rag joint steering shafts with newer steering shafts that use U joints, like the Astro or Grand Cherokee shafts.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor