442 Swap automatic for 5 speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

olds4ever

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 19, 2017
I am wondering how much it would cost and who does conversions from automatic to 5 speed on a 87 442? I live in western kentucky.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Either the T-56 or TKO 600 5 spd. Unfortunately, big torque destroys most of the light weight 5 speeds quickly.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
What happened to your th400 swap you were in the middle of doing just a couple weeks ago?

Reactions: 1 user

olds4ever

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 19, 2017
What happened to your th400 swap you were in the middle of doing just a couple weeks ago?
I haven’t quit on it yet. It was put in my car drove around one evening next morning it wouldn’t move. Guy that built it said it had bad gasket not letting the pump work correctly. You have to rev it up to get to move. I’m pretty much wore out with this transmission ordeal.

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have a T5 WC behind a roller vortec 355 and it holds up fine. If I want to do a burn out I make sure it's a rolling burn out. The stock shifters are junk so you need to upgrade it with a good aftermarket shifter, I have a Hurst.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
I haven’t quit on it yet. It was put in my car drove around one evening next morning it wouldn’t move. Guy that built it said it had bad gasket not letting the pump work correctly. You have to rev it up to get to move. I’m pretty much wore out with this transmission ordeal.

We told you to get a th2004r from a QUALITY builder and be done with it. This is still your best option. Just do it already.

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
There is nothing inexpensive about a manual swap. You need:
  • Flywheel
  • Flywheel bolts
  • Clutch disk
  • Pressure plate
  • Pressure plate bolts
  • Throw out bearing
  • Pilot bushing
  • Bellhousing
  • Clutch linkage or hydraulic setup
  • Transmission
  • Crossmember
  • Transmission mount
  • Shifter
  • Pedals
  • Drive shaft
And more miscellaneous stuff.

The T56 Magnum (great transmission) costs north of $3k. Figure nearly $5k to do the swap if you just buy everything and bolt it together. You can buy a regular T56 or a T5 (not as strong) for less but I don't see you completing the swap for under $3k. That would be with buying a used transmission.

Not trying to talk you out of it. I'm swapping a T5 into my car. I just want you to have some idea of what a financial commitment it is to swap to a 5 or 6 speed. If you found a donor car (fourth gen Camaro with a T56) and have the skills to fabricate and to overhaul a manual transmission yourself, perhaps you could do it for a bit less but it is not a cheap proposition.

Also, be honest with yourself regarding how you will treat the car (abuse). Torque capacity:
WC T5 - roughly 300 ft. lbs.
T56 - roughly 450 ft. lbs.
T56 Magnum - 700 ft. lbs.

I have a SBC that is rated 350 HP/400 ft. lbs. so it is more than my T5 is rated for but I don't plan to abuse it. My car is a cruiser.

I hope this helps.

--Jared

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Unfortunately, in your probably 450 ft/lbs range, either get your stock 2004R built by a proper builder or get a heavy duty 5 or 6 speed. I am considering piecing my 403 for similar power and building a stroker Olds 350, copying Cutlassefi's 400+/500+ft/lbs mild 9 to 1 build. The problem is torque, my current Olds 350 with maybe 350 ft/lbs is easier to find a trans like the later T-5's but any major power upgrade and boom. I currently put a TH350C but even with 2.78 gears in the 8.5" in the type O rear in my 70S, a regular 3 spd spins to high for my liking, 2350 RPM at 60 mph, drop 300 RPM with a lock up torque converter. You will need a higher stall, unless it high quality, it will drive rpm's even higher on that TH400. I hate my stock stall converter, it needs to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor